Loading...
Agenda - 01-03-2018 AGENDA YOUTH LEADERSHIP COUNCIL v .01m, Wednesday, January 3, 2017 \-PRry oos--/ 5:15 p.m. — 7:15 p.m. Main Fire Station Conference Room, 300 B Avenue, Lake Oswego OR Contact: Jenny Slepian, Sustainability and Management Analyst, Islegian@ci.oswego.or.us, 503-635-0291 Also published on the internet at: The meeting location is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request accommodations please contact the City Manager's Office 48 hours before the meeting. I. AGENDA 5:00 Call to Order and Roll Call Introductions of Staff and Board Members Announcements from Board and Staff Approval of December 6, 2017 Minutes 5:15 Regular Business (I-Information, C-Conversation/Discussion, D-Decision, R-Recommend to Council) A. City Council Update Buck 10 min. B. Respond to Racism and Schools Sheldon 45 min. C C. LO Speaks Planning All 30 min. C II. ADJOURNMENT ATTACHMENTS Please note that all materials are sent electronically. Please review before meeting. • December 6, 2017 Meeting Minutes NEXT MEETING: February 7, 2018. Council Chambers Brooke Baker•Annie Choo•Olivia Gaussoin,Alternate• Natalie Goldberg•Jensen Kaelin • Renee Kozlowski • Kyle Langford •Sebastian Marin-Quiros• Michael Murray• River Smith •Joe Buck, Council Liaison 503.635.0215 380 A Avenue PO BOX 369 Lake Oswego, OR 97034 www.ci.oswego.or.us vx t,EAp `' O`` Oso% CITY OF LAKE OSWEGO >' v o 1) Youth Leadership Council Minutes December 6,2017 OREGOr" COU NG\\ Call to Order/Roll Call Chair Annie Choo called the December 6, 2017 meeting of the Youth Leadership Council (YLC)to order at 5:15 p.m. at Council Chambers, 380 A Avenue, Lake Oswego, Oregon. Members Present: Annie Choo, Brooke Baker, River Smith, Natalie Goldberg (late), Renee Kozlowski,Jensen Kaelin, Seba Marin-Quiroz (late), Kyle Langford, Councilor Joe Buck Members Excused/Absent Michael Murray Staff: Jenny Slepian, Sustainability and Management Analyst; Public: None Announcements from Board and Staff The Leadership LO group would like a Councilor to speak to their group on City Day, December 14.Annie volunteered to go. Jensen will go to DC.Jensen also offered a spot on the University of Hawaii beach volleyball team. Brooke has started ski team. Renee has her Jesuit Encounter retreat this week. River is going on a boat trip to the San Juans in March. Olivia got into TCU Early Decision. Annie is saving robotics. Approval of Minutes The Council unanimously approved the November 1, 2017 meeting minutes. Public Comment None Regular Business A. Council Update Cyndie Glazer came to the council meeting to talk about the LO Reads book and present the schedule. The Council discussed annexation. Properties have to be annexed in to be developed and hook up to the sewer system.The problem is infrastructure is never improved and LOPD have to respond to calls, though the homeowners do not pay for LOPD coverage. Seba asked what the solution is so it doesn't take 500 years to annex in the properties. River suggested "bribing" neighborhoods with reduced development fees if they annex.Joe explained that some neighborhoods can be annexed by the city, like Lake Forest, since they are an island. Some neighborhoods if they don't come in,the City can stop with police service and NA grants etc. The Council also discussed a citizen proposal for two new pools.A group of swimmers came in asking for the city to partner with LOSD for a new pool. Community wants a 50m pool and another pool that's a different temperature.This could be considered as part of the need to move Parks and Rec out of Palisades in June. Looking at moving Parks to the golf course, which could include building a recreation facility, with a pool. May be able to include West Linn in funding, as they use the pool.Joe suggested that this would be a good opportunity for the YLC to write a resolution to submit to the City Council. Seba asked how much it would cost-$13 million for a 2 pool facility. $7 million was included in the bond for a new pool.The thought is that tournaments and other events could bring people into LO.The question the Council is considering is broader-should the City be in the business of running a pool?Seba said no, Kyle thought it was a good idea since the lake is too cold to swim in. Annie and Natalie suggested 2 pools might be unnecessary and one should be ok. Seba suggested getting solid numbers on the costs and benefits. Seba will take the lead on writing a letter. Jensen asked if we could move the next meeting one week later.The group decided to not move the meeting.Jensen will attend a December City Council meeting to make up for the missed meeting and report back to the Youth Council on what was covered at that meeting. B. LO Speaks Update The Council went over the LO Speaks schedule and gave an update on task progress.They also reviewed the LO Reads schedule. Tasks needing completion: • Need to check with Michael about the status of the adult speakers.Jensen offered to do that as part of writing the Hello LO article by December 14. Natalie and Renee to help. Article must be in to Bonnie Hirshberger by December 14. Only one person turned up to youth auditions, one person may have dropped out. Isabelle sent a video. Claire Fennell was the one who turned up. Renee will follow up with Rita. Set some January goals: • We need to get in touch with the adult speakers and ask them for their blurbs • The group will decide who will emcee the event • Annie contacting Greenbrier and Yakima for fundraising • Offer extra credit for students who come • Get posters printed and spend a day putting them up Food ideas for event concessions: Costco and coffee Joe suggested having a big ad in the LO Review thanking businesses who donate for their support of the YLC. City of Lake Oswego Youth Leadership Council Minutes Page 2 of 3 December 6, 2017 C. Next Projects Bryan Sheldon indicated that the Respond to Racism group would like to work with the Youth Leadership Council. He will try to bring someone from the group to the January meeting. Work on setting up a Youth Town Hall in late February. Shouldn't take much work other than recruiting peers to attend.The Council will work with the Youth Action Council to set up the event. The meeting was adjourned at 7:00 pm. Respectfully submitted, Jenny Slepian Sustainability and Management Analyst City of Lake Oswego Youth Leadership Council Minutes Page 3 of 3 December 6, 2017