Loading...
Approved Minutes - 12-13-2017 PM �� E O�� CITY OF LAKE OSWEGO Transportation Advisory Board Action Minutes V 00011P December 13, 2017 OREGON Call to order:7pm Attendance: Members present: Mike Peebles,Vice-Chair; Willard Chi; Vidya Kale; Howard Levine. Members excused/absent: Richard Nys, Chair;Tom Fahey; Roger Martin; Michael Murray, Youth Member. Council Liaison Present: Theresa Kohlhoff Guest(s): Staff: Lieutenant Treat; Erica Rooney, City Engineer; Cindy Waggener, Administrative Support. Elect Officers • Vidya Kale nominated Richard Nys as Chair and Mike Peebles as Vice Chair. Howard Levine seconded the nomination and it passed 4:0. Approve Meeting Minutes • Willard Chi moved to approve the Minutes of June 14, 2017 as drafted. Howard Levine seconded the motion and it passed 4:0. • Vidya Kale moved to approve the Minutes of October 11, 2017 as drafted. Willard Chi seconded the motion and it passed 4:0. Public Comment • Cheryl Uchida, Co-Chair, Waluga Neighborhood Association. Ms. Uchida shared handouts with photos and made a brief statement.The Waluga NA is unique: about a third is single-family residential, one third is commercial, and one third is high density residential. Growing vehicular traffic concerns and parking issues related to increasing commercial development have compromised pedestrian and bicycle safety. We are fortunate to have a City park, an elementary school, a grocery store, a post office, restaurants, and many smaller businesses. She noted that Richard Nys,TAB Chair, attended the April Waluga NA Board meeting and heard our concerns about CIP and TSP projects that have been unfunded for well over 10 years. We shared our 2018 traffic goals and action plans and introduced our traffic and police liaison, Dick,to Mr. Nys. She referenced a letter to TAB prepared in June 2017 and stated that the purpose tonight is to ask for agreement and support from TAB to earmark funding for at least one or two Transportation System Plan (TSP) projects: 1) Galewood/Quarry intersection (shown in the photos submitted; TSP 155); and 2)the Douglas Way pathway entrance (shown from Quarry Rd in the photos; noted as a pathway project in the TSP). She concluded that Waluga NA is asking TAB to support approval for full funding for these two projects and for TAB to take the request to the Citizen's Budget Committee in 2018. Transportation Advisory Board Action Minutes, December 13, 2017 Page 1 of 4 • Bruce Goldson,4260 Country Woods Ct., Lake Oswego, OR noted he also lives in Waluga and has been active with the Waluga NA for many years.These two projects described by Ms. Uchida are small in nature and we are looking for your support, especially related to children's safety crossing near the school.There are school buses in the area, it is a significant route, and the delineator poles are often run over.The Galewood project needs a permanent fix as well.These are not expensive projects, but are important for pedestrian safety in the neighborhood. In response to a question from a Board member if, on a short-term basis,the existing delineator poles can be made larger or brighter, Mr. Goldson noted that the poles are soft so people are less concerned about hitting them. He opined if there were a four to five-inch high sidewalk people would be more cautious as they tend to stay several feet away from a curb. In response to a question if there is something on an interim solution that could make it safer, Mr. Goldson stated he did not know. A Board member opined the Douglas pathway project seems more pressing, especially with Lake Grove Elementary close by. He could not recall why the TAB, in the past, had bumped the Galewood/Quarry project down the list on its review and would review his notes. A Board member recalled working with the Council to get funding for small projects in the past and asked Ms. Rooney if there was a way to get one of the projects not yet on the CIP included as a small project. Ms. Rooney explained how the small project list package was developed and funded via SDC's and how it was difficult to get bids last year. She added that some of these small projects on the TSP could be added to the CIP and ranked when there is a full. Ms. Rooney suggested that City Operations staff could potentially upgrade the "candles" but that adding curb presents drainage challenges so requires design work to determine where the water would go. A Board member noted a point from the NA's letter about having a no left turn sign coming from Douglas Way. Ms. Rooney clarified that people still would make left turns even with that signage unless there is a physical barrier; signs are ineffective. Lt.Treat added, in response to a follow up question,that the Police Department can enforce but people will still make illegal turns when there is no police presence. Ms. Uchida noted that Starbucks adds to this problem, but the NA did not raise it as a priority right now. Discussion followed about potential solutions and the future impact of Boones Ferry Road improvements. Next steps were summarized: keep information moving forward for the small project agenda and work with staff to get Douglas/Quarry on the list; and City staff will talk with Maintenance staff regarding replacement candles. Bob Sack, 208 Durham St., Lake Oswego, OR stated he was speaking as member of the Lake Oswego Sustainability Advisory Board, and was also a member of the Lake Oswego Sustainability Network. He shared a written summary of the SAB's actions worked on in 2017, noting they want the TAB to be aware of the recommendations related to transportation, as there might be some overlap.The SAB's strategy has been to identify practical things the City might do to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. He provided a summary of transportation-related actions: 1) attention to the electrification of transportation in the city, including personal vehicles, city vehicles, and potentially school district vehicles; electric charging stations, and policy to encourage provision of electrification for charging in multifamily developments; and 2) public transit and active transportation. The SAB is hoping to do more to make bus ridership attractive, including some kind of local on demand transit,which has been included in the TSP.The SAB would also like to see more opportunities for bicycling, a bike share program, and possibly a bike barn in the new City building that could be used by people who are taking transit. He shared information about the process, noting the 2018 action document is in draft form. Board members have been meeting with City Council members and the document will be presented more formally to the Council in January. A TAB member recalled at the last Boards and Commissions summit there was a lot of overlap and thanked Mr. Sack for the communication. In response to a question regarding Transportation Advisory Board Action Minutes, December 13, 2017 Page 2 of 4 improvements for the transit center, Ms. Rooney responded it had been delayed to focus on the civic center, and that after that the East End funds may be depleted so she was not sure if that project would be funded. Responding to a question if other types of fuels had been considered for the City fleet, Mr. Sack stated they certainly welcomed other ideas. It was noted there is a group at Portland State University, formerly known as OTREC,which might be a good resource. Mr. Sack shared they had considered submitting a proposal to get student research support for local transit demand management. A TAB member emphasized individual responsibility, so outreach is an important element. Regular Business 1. Council Report • Councilor Kohlhoff noted this would be her last time talking with TAB, as Councilors are assigned new Boards and Commissions at the end of the year. She noted she has interest in mass transit and would be representing the Council on MPAC(Metro Policy Advisory Committee) and C4 (Clackamas County Coordinating Committee). She noted Mr. Sack and his SAB co-chair had spoken with her about the climate action plan,which is a Council goal. She noted heartburn related to tree removal and the Development Code, which was no longer on the Council agenda, but the climate action plan includes planting trees, a backdoor to the tree issue. She noted that transportation related issues that come to Council require a great deal of staff expertise. She summarized that the Council recently had been discussing Airbnbs and affordable housing, the proposed community pool and potential partnership with the school district, and the civic center project. 2. LO Police Department Report • Lieutenant Treat provided a summary of traffic violations and incidents since October 14, 2017, including 17 DUIs, 9 hit and runs, and 39 crashes, including 7 injury crashes and 13 single-vehicle crashes. He gave an update on actions related to the new cell phone law, including three citations going through Municipal Court for misdemeanor violations (the third conviction becomes a misdemeanor violation).There are two new laws that take effect January 1, 2018, including an enhanced move over law and crash reporting related to property damage. In response to a question, Lt.Treat noted 2017 would have the highest number of violations. He has been working on putting together a distracted driving law forum and shared that insurers have suggested insurance rates would likely go up 10% each year due to increases in crashes. He shared stats about who is receiving distracted driving citations. 3. LO Traffic Engineering Report • City Engineer Rooney gave an update on major projects.There will be sewer rehab work going on in several locations this winter/spring but should not affect traffic on major streets. There are three fairly significant roadway projects that will start this spring, including: o Jefferson Parkway—This is a full-depth road reclamation starting late spring through the summer. o Country Club—From May to September this project is to replace the water line, realign the sewer, and line the stormwater system between 10th and Six Corners, in addition to repairing the road.There are some traffic impact concerns so we are putting together a comprehensive staging plan and an outreach plan for affected neighbors. At least once every couple of weeks someone calls about Six Corners; it is actually scary so it is safe. We have very few crashes there.The City did hire DKS several years ago to do an engineering study. During this construction of Country Club, when we have the traffic control in place, we are going to try and implement that general plan in a temporary fashion, which she further described. Transportation Advisory Board Action Minutes, December 13, 2017 Page 3 of 4 o D Avenue—This is scheduled for spring/summer. She shared the synopsis given to the City Council in November.The project goals include stormwater management to reduce flooding, and to make pedestrian and pavement improvements.The project area is D Ave. from 10th to State St., plus work on 7th related to stormwater and pavement, and on 8th and 9th. In October we held the second open house and shared 60%design plans. There were extensive on the ground meetings with affected neighbors.Two design options were shared, and after receiving a lot of input, a slight curve, or meander,to the general layout of the road was decided upon. It will achieve some traffic calming and will have more amenities than the road has now, including a pathway, parking on one side, and two lanes of traffic. The 90% plans are being reviewed now and we plan to bid the end of January, with construction spring to fall. The cost estimate at 60% is$4.2 million,with a total cost of$5.3 million. In response to questions, Ms. Rooney noted the finished width, absent parked cars, is proposed to be 20 feet, and the pedestrian pathway is 5-feet wide.There will be pedestrian-level lighting, such as bollards.There will be significant tree removal, including a large number of diseased or invasive trees, with replanting of 65 trees.The steps will be removed for ADA purposes.The landscaped areas that are stormwater facilities will be maintained by the City. • Boones Ferry Road—Construction will start in the fall 2018, subject to bidding and cost estimates. Right of way issues are still being worked out. • Pavement Management Program Expansion—Murray Smith and a team of consultants has been hired to enhance the program.They will develop a plan for major corridor CIP projects and will have a large number of projects happening this summer, locations to be determined. Other Business 1. 2018 TAB Goals • The Board discussed setting up a separate meeting to discuss its goals. Ms. Rooney encouraged the Board getting together soon to do that.There is a Boards and Commissions Summit in February; she will get the details on deadlines to the Board, as Ms. Owings was more up to speed on that.A Board member suggested also reviewing the SAB climate action plan, in addition to TAB's goals from last year Announcements 1. Recruitment for Traffic Engineer • Ms. Rooney reported they have not had a lot of response yet, so the application deadline has been extended to December 18, 2017. We are asking for a Professional Engineer with some roadway experience. With that schedule, they hope to have someone on board in February. Adjournment: 8:15pm. The next meeting will be held on March 14, 2018. Transportation Advisory Board Action Minutes, December 13, 2017 Page 4 of 4