Skip to Main Content

McCall House, Circa 1930

McCall House

McCall House, Circa 1930

Location:4144 South Shore Blvd


This house is significant because it is one of few remaining cottages built as summer retreats for Portland residents.  The English Cottage style home sites on a small rise above the lake. Located on the west end of the lake, South Shore was one of the first areas to open up for development in 1913 when Paul Murphy cleared sites around the lake to sell.  Lakefront lots started at $200.  Summer cottages and homes were popular with Portlanders during that period. Oswego residents also began to build around the lake and lots sold quickly, even as prices rose, through the 1920s and '30s.