Sacred Heart School, Circa 1925
Location: 774 First Street
This property was first purchased by the Society of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary from the Oregon Iron and Steel Company in 1892. The Sacred Heart School building is an excellent example of a Craftsman Bungalow. The low-pitched gable roofs and deep eaves give the house a ground hugging quality, a hallmark of the style. The river rock porch piers and chimney are particularly distinctive. The house and associated landscape features are well preserved and are one of the best examples of the type in the First Addition neighborhood.