The Library has a FlashForge Creator dual extruder 3D printer!
The Library usually offers a presentation on the promise of 3D printing every 3rd Friday of each month from 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm. Call 503.675.2540 to confirm. The public can also get their files printed on the 3D printer --those they have created or collected from www.thingiverse.com or other sites. Please see information and procedures for printing below.
First some limitations:
1. We are unable to print high definition files with the printer.
2. We might not be able to print some items successfully. We will immediately try to print the item a second time if the first print fails.
3. We cannot print items that will take over four hours to print. Objects that are too large will be scaled down to a size that is printable for us.
4. Very small objects with detail do not print well.
5. We cannot guarantee an exact turnaround time for print jobs or adhere to deadlines for print jobs; sometimes we get backed up with many print jobs or staff must work on other library projects.
Requirements for print jobs:
1. Files must be in .STL format.
2. Maximum Printing/Build size 8" x 5" x 5".
3. Material is ABS plastic.
4. We have a number of colors of plastic; typically we use what is currently in the printer. If you need a specific color we can discuss it with you.
5. Printed items are not suitable for repeated use with food.
6. Google SketchUp , AutoCAD, and other CAD programs that output in the .STL file type can be used to design objects.
7. Files from Thingiverse may be used: www.thingiverse.com
8. Call 503.675.2535 to make a printing appointment with Todd Feinman, Librarian.
9. You will be charged for your printed items based on their weight relative to the weight of the ABS plastic spool; many items would cost under a dollar.
10. You will be notified when your item is printed; pick it up at the Reference Desk and pay for it there.
Printing is limited to one job per week per person, up to four per month.
Call Todd Feinman, Reference Librarian at 503.675.2535 if you have questions!