- Library Home
- About Your Account
- Discussion Groups
- Books & Media
- Research & Resources
- Lake Oswego Reads
- Library 101
Lake Oswego Public Library
"...Here are 10 reasons why you can be a proud card-carrying member:
1. The Lake Oswego Public Library has been named the number one library in Oregon for eight consecutive years by Hennen's American Public Library Ratings.
2. Over 1,000 patrons visit the library each day.
3. The library checks out an average of 33.5 items per year for every man, woman and child who lives in Lake Oswego. (The national average is 7; the state average is 15).
4. Over 500 volunteers contribute their time and talents to support the library. That’s the equivalent of 6 ½ full time employees.
5. The library circulates 1.4 million items per year which Library Director, Bill Baars says is unheard of for a community our size.
6. The library holds 250,000 items in its collection. Baars claims it’s a selection that borders on research facility caliber thanks to our educated community looking for intellectual stimulation.
7. With the advent of the Internet, research librarians actually spend more time helping patrons find information than before. With so many options, their guidance is crucial in narrowing a person’s search and directing him or her to legitimate sources.
8. Technology is not replacing the library. According to Baars, there are more library card holders in the country than ever before.
9. Oliver Twist is one of the volumes that has been in the library since it opened in 1930. Now, however, you can find it in a variety of versions: large print, DVD, downloadable video, audiobook, eBook, hardback, paperback.
10. The American Library Association estimates that you can save $2,040 each year by utilizing all of the library’s services from book loans to Internet access."
From: 10 Reasons to Check Out the Lake Oswego Public Library During National Library Week. Posted on April 9, 2012 by lovelakeoswego
City Livability Award
Teen Summer Reading PSA
Award from the Business Recycling Awards Group