• Fire department recommends the use of an approved manufactured fireplace or fire pit. Requirements for these types of fireplaces would include the safety information listed in the manufactures instructions.
• Must call the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) burn advisory recording (503) 632-0211 prior to the burn. This information does not supersede DEQ rules and regulations.
• Locate the fire a minimum of 25 feet from any structure. Additionally, prior to ignition, eliminate conditions that could cause fire to spread to a minimum of 25 feet from any combustible materials.
• The maximum dimensions of the woodpile shall be less than 2 ft in height and less than 3 ft in diameter.
(Larger fires are considered “Bon Fires” which have different rules and require a permit from the fire department.)
• A competent adult, knowledgeable in the use of fire extinguishing equipment, must constantly attend the fire until it is fully extinguished. This person should have one or more of the following: a garden hose connected to a water supply, a bucket of water and a shovel, a Fire extinguisher, or other approved fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
• It is NOT authorized to burn domestic rubbish, refuse or combustible waste such as paper, cartons, rags, lumber, oils, plastics, foliage, stubble, composition roofing or siding, rubber, or other objectionable materials.