Skip to Main Content
City of Lake Oswego
Willamette River birds

Special Event Sign Banners Over Roadway

Special event banner signs are temporary banners that are hung over the roadway to advertise upcoming events in or near Lake Oswego.  A banner sign may be posted for a maximum of one week during high season (April to August) and two weeks during low season (September to March), once per calendar year.  Maximum size is three feet in height and 30 feet in width.

There is one location in the City where the public is permitted to hang banner signs over the roadway: over State Street at Leonard Street in downtown Lake Oswego.  The signs are installed and removed by the City’s Operations Division on the dates specified by the applicant if they have obtained a Temporary Banner Permit (see permit instructions below).  Banners are installed and removed on Mondays.

Since banner signs are hung from utility poles owned by Portland General Electric (PGE), written permission from PGE and liability and/or property damage insurance is required.  Additionally, because State Street is a state highway, written permission from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) is required to hang a banner sign.

Spring and summer are the busiest times of year

Spring and Summer are the busiest times of the year for banner signs. Please allow 4 weeks minimum for application approval. Banner applications are accepted up to 6 months in advance.

  1. CITY. Check with Traffic Engineering to see what time slots and locations are available. Reservations are made on a first come, first served basis. Contact information for the City is as follows:

    Nancy Flye, Traffic Engineering Technician
    (503) 697-7419

  2. ODOT. To obtain written authorization from ODOT, fill out the two page ODOT application (see attachment below)including a drawing of the banner, and mail to the address below.  Only original copies are acceptable, so faxing and emailing the information are not options.  Include a copy of the authorization with the Sign Banner Permit application to the City. Contact information for ODOT is as follows:

    ODOT, Region 1 Permitting
    9200 SE Lawnfield Rd.
    Clackamas, OR  97015
    (Phone)  971-673-6200
    (Fax) 503-653-5655
  3. PGE .To obtain written authorization and liability and/or property damage insurance from PGE for the time slot you wish to reserve, fax the application, including map showing banner location, drawing of banner, and copy of approved ODOT permit to PGE at the address below.  A copy of the authorization and insurance must be submitted with the Sign Banner Permit application to the City.  Contact information for PGE is as follows:

    Ellen M. Richter
    Portland General Electric (PGE)
    2213 SW 153rd Drive Beaverton, OR 97006
    (Phone) 503-672-5576 for receptionist
    (Fax) 503-672-5555

    Note: The PGE pole numbers for this location are #25 and #1095.

  4.   CITY. Complete the City’s Temporary Banner Permit application form and turn in the application for with approved authorizations from ODOT and PGE to the Engineering Department on the third floor of City Hall.
  5. After obtaining a Temporary Sign Permit at City Hall, take the permit and the banner to the City’s Operations Division,  5705 Jean Road, at least one week prior to the installation date.  The Operations Division will install and remove the banner on the dates specified by the applicant (not to exceed two weeks for low season and one week for high season in duration).