2013 Challenge Kicked Off in April!
Looking for inspiration or motivation to get out of the car and find a better way to get around? The 100 Mile Challenge runs through December, so sign up today and request a free active transportation resource bag, including Metro’s Bike There! map and Walk There! book and a reflective safety arm band, while supplies last.
The 100 Mile Challenge is an active transportation program that provides an opportunity for all of us to rethink how we get around, especially trips within two miles of home. Just leave your car at home; walk, bike, bus, or use another car-free option to get there; log your trips; and qualify for prizes.
Having trouble signing up or using the trip tracking web site? Check out the videos linked at the bottom of this page for tips on common registration and trip logging questions, including: Video 1 - How to Register for the 100 Mile Challenge; and Video 2 - How to Log Trips and Use the Drive Less Connect Website.
Participants who log active transportation trips as part of the 100 Mile Challenge may be eligible to win prizes, or incentives, each month during the Challenge and one of two year-end grand prizes. All car-free trips to, from, and within Lake Oswego count; simply travel and log the specified number of miles and you are entered to win.
New for 2013 is a chance to win one of three monthly prizes, plus a chance to win one of two grand prizes at the close of the Challenge. Each month three incentives valued at approximately $25 will be awarded (chosen randomly from qualified participants), as follows:
- One for a person that has walked 25 miles during that month, and
- Two for participants that have biked, walked, used transit, or any other car-free option for 100 miles during that month.
At the end of 2013, participants who have reached 100 miles or 500 miles by the end of the Challenge are entered to win one of two grand prizes (valued at approximately $100 and $500, respectively).
- 500 mile grand prize - a new Trek 7.1 FX bike, sponsored by Bike Gallery - Lake Oswego.
- 100 mile grand prize - a $100 Patagonia gift card
- April prizes - $25 gift cards sponsored by Dang's Thai Kitchen and Wizer's Oswego Market.
- May prizes - $25 gift cards sponsored by Moonstruck Chocolate Co., Albertsons, and Audubon Society of Portland Nature Store.
- June prizes - two bicycle helmet gift certificates sponsored Lakeside Bicycles, and a $25 gift card sponsored by New Seasons Market - Mountain Park.
- July prizes - $25 gift cards, sponsored by New Seasons Market - Mountain Park.
- August prizes - $25 REI gift cards
- September prizes - $25 Zupan's Market gift cards
- October prizes - $25 Bike Gallery gift cards
- November prizes - $25 Fred Meyer gift cards
- December prizes - $25 Powell's Books gift cards
Thank you to our 100 Mile Challenge prize sponsors! Interested in being a monthly prize sponsor? Contact us to find out how.
Active Transportation Resources
When you sign up for the Challenge, you can request a reusable bag with these helpful resources, while supplies last:
- Metro's Bike There! map,
- Metro's Walk There! book,
- Lake Oswego area maps,
- TriMet information and route map,
- A 10% off coupon to the Bike Gallery, and
- A reflective safety arm band.
Additional resources are available to help you on the road to meeting the 100 Mile Challenge, including the following:
- TriMet's trip planning tool - Find routes and travel times using transit, bike, and walking.
- Metro area travel options - Find information on biking, transit, telecommute, walking, carsharing, and carpool/vanpool.
- Local bike shops:
- Free bike clinics, such as Commuting 101, Fix a Flat, and Basic Bike Repair, plus community rides from the Bike Gallery. Learn more here.
- Walk + Bike - Oregon Safe Routes to Schools, including resources on how to participate in May's Walk+Bike Challenge Month.
Encourage your friends, family, co-workers, and employees to join us in finding more enjoyable and healthy ways to get from here to there! Help us spread the word by sharing the 100 Mile Challenge flyer.
For more information or questions, contact us by email or at 503-635-0291.
The 100 Mile Challenge is an outreach program of the Lake Oswego Sustainability Advisory Board.
2012 Challenge Results
Throughout the 2012 Challenge, which ran from July through December, 214 participants logged over 60,000 active transportation miles, reduced CO2 emissions by almost 40,000 pounds, and saved over 2,000 gallons of gasoline and $13,500. Ninety-one people logged 100 miles, which put them in the running for the grand prize – a new bike from the Bike Gallery. The grand prize winner commutes between Beaverton and Lake Oswego by bike and transit.
The 2012 100 Mile Challenge was funded through the City's Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow