Loading...
Agenda Packet - 2022-11-16 AGENDA vik PARKS, RECREATION & NATURAL RESOURCES ADVISORY BOARD Wednesday, November 16, 2022 I jZ ' 0 4:00 p.m. LO Maintenance Center, Willow A 17601 Pilkington Rd, Lake Oswego 97035 Contact: Dina Balogh,Administrative Assistant Email: dbaloqh@lakeosweqo.city Phone: 503-534-5420 Also published on the internet at: http://lakeoswego.city/parks-agendas-minutes The meeting location is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request accommodations, please contact the staff liaison at least 48 hours before the meeting. To Join the in-person meeting remotely, a call-in option is available by registering at the following link: https://lakeoswego.webex.com/lakeoswego/j.php?RGID=r94de5622756d373d14b496904e485489 I. 4:00 Call to Order and Roll Call • Approval of Minutes (October 19, 2022) • Public Comment The purpose of public comment is to allow citizens to present information or raise an issue regarding items not on the agenda or regarding agenda items that do not include a public hearing.A time limit of three minutes per individual shall apply.Public comment will not exceed thirty minutes in total. To speak during public comment, email dbaloqh@lakeosweqo.city 24 hours before the start of the meeting a request to speak along with a copy of the comment to be presented. Written comments submitted to dbaloqh@lakeosweqo.city 24 hours before the start of the meeting will be read out loud during the public comment period. • City Council Update • Youth Member Report II. 4:15 Regular Business /—Information, Dis—Discussion, Dec—Decision, R—Recommend to Council Natural Areas Management Plan Megan Big John,Parks Manager 30 min I, Dis, Dec, R 2023 Parks Board Goals Co-Chair's Sarah Ellison and Doug McKean 30 min I, Dis, Dec Information and update from Board All 15 min I, members and staff: Ill. ADJOURNMENT • Attachments: Meeting Minutes(October 19,2022) • Next Regular Meeting: Wednesday, December 21,2022,4 PM to 6:00 PM Co-Chair Sarah Ellison • Co-Chair Doug McKean Edwin Becker• Christopher Duncan • Kara Gapon Taryn Hatchel •Angel Mott-Nickerson •Jennifer Mozinski • Gregory Wolley Ben Hovey,Youth Member• Eileen Koh,Youth Member•John Wendland, Council Liaison 2022 Goals for Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources (PARKS Board) Advisory Board 1. Prioritization of Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs). Update and refine the Board's prioritization of capital improvement projects. Communicate updated recommendations to City Council. 2. Dog Leash Policy. Review dog-leash policy options. Determine if and how to amend the department or city policy. If needed, make policy recommendations to City Council. 3. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Coordinating with the DEI Advisory Board, parks staff, and the city's equity program manager, review DEI issues facing our community and current DEI policies within the parks department. Develop and make DEI policy recommendations to the department and City Council that will promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in parks and parks programs. 4. Natural Resources Management Plan. Advise and make recommendations to the parks department on development of a Natural Resources Management Plan for city parks. Additional Interests • Sustainability policy • Adoption of Luscher Area Master Plan (LAMP) with Clackamas County • Outreach PARKS, RECREATION & NATURAL RESOURCES ADVISORY BOARD 0 MINUTES • October 19, 2022 Sarah Ellison called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. Present: Co-Chair, Sarah Ellison, Co-Chair, Doug McKean, Ed Becker, Chris Duncan,Angel Mott-Nickerson,Jennifer Mozinski,Youth Member Eileen Koh (Virtual), Board Member, Kara Gapon, Greg Wolley,Taryn Hatchel, and Council Liaison John Wendland. Alternates: Jason Dorn, Sandra Lupton Absent: Youth Member, Ben Hovey Staff: Parks& Recreation Director, Ivan Anderholm, Deputy Director's Jeff Munro and Jan Wirtz, Park Analyst/Project Manager, Kyra Haggart,Administrative Assistant, Dina Balogh Guests: APPROVAL OF MINUTES • The Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Advisory Board (PARKS Board) reviewed and unanimously approved the minutes from September 21, 2022. Public Comment: NA City Council Update: • Council proclaimed October as "Meals on Wheels" month. • Council approved the Milroy Phase 2 Design-Build construction contract for the LO Golf Course. • Home Demolition Tax: Council approved removing the 3-year sunset provision and to continue dedicating the Demo Tax for Parks maintenance. • Approved garbage and collection service rates with Republic Services for another 10-year contract. • HB 2001 Middle Housing: The framework discussion and code changes are going to be a lot of work moving forward with information, education and understanding what HB 2001 means.The City will approach the work keeping as close as possible to the code and staying within the statutes of the state of Oregon law. • Pathways:The Transportation Advisory board is assisting with prioritizing pathway projects. The City Council heard testimony from neighbors where the pathway projects will be prioritized. 50+Advisory Board Liaison Report: NA Youth Member Update: NA Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Advisory Board Minutes September 21, 2022 REGULAR BUSINESS: Natural Areas Management Plan Draft Update: Megan Big John, Parks Manager Megan presented background on the plan and why it was created. There are 370 acres already in restoration.The plan will make sure things keep moving in the right direction The 9/21/22 Stakeholder meeting notes: • Reference OR conservation strategy for wildlife species management • Mention importance of planning for natural succession • Should assume that emerald ash bore will lead to large infestations (likely in 10 years). Should include provisions for that in plan. Isolate significant ash groves? Underplant with other species. Staff should attend EAB training so they can be quick to recognize arrival. • Update noxious weed standard to state what amount is tolerable and won't trigger additional treatment(zero is unrealistic; perhaps less than 10%total cover?). • Should call out or refer to wildlife corridors that connect parks via private land. • For hydrologic enhancement objective we should seek a grant to have someone review streams and wetlands to catch areas that may become costly restorations Doug McKean asked if the department have staff to carry out the restoration work described? • Ivan: Restoration is an ongoing effort, not something done once and done.Work will continue to keep natural habitats in good condition. Greg Wolley asked if the tree cutting fines were lower in previous years which would make it less of a disincentive to remove canopy? • Ivan: The City is working to have clearer and objective standards.Therefore, there are fewer fines that happen now from people who don't understand the rules. Jason Dorn asked about stakeholder comments and how the City plans to address these comments. Will they adopt ODFW(Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife) policy? • Megan: There will be a management strategy that is acknowledged in the plan and monitoring. Could look at adding methodology. Action: • The board to provide high level comments back to Megan by October 28. • November 2: Board is invited to the Natural Areas Habitat Management Plan Open House. • The final plan will be delivered to the board and stakeholders by November 10. • November 16 Parks board meeting: Staff will ask the board for a recommendation to take the final plan to City Council to adopt by resolution at the Council December 6 meeting. CIP Update: Ivan Anderholm, Director of Parks& Recreation The City has a 2-year biennial budget and then adopts CIP projects. The CIP list includes spending and balancing with other funds. Ivan discussed how the projects on the list are funded and prioritized. • The ACC renovation project is done. • Luscher access would be next on the funded list if there are bond dollars available after current projects are completed. • Roehr Pathway extension:The City has possession of the last few easements to complete the link between Roehr Park and George Rogers Park. 2IPage Kara Gapon asked Ivan how the City acquired the properties? • Ivan clarified the City purchased two properties, added easements,then sold and the other two. Council passed resolution of necessity that acquired the easements. • May of 2023 the valuation of these properties will be complete. Councilor Wendland to the board this is part of the regional trail system. Interested parties for the trolley trail to south water front are Metro,Trimet, etc. There is a gap in pedestrian access on Stafford south of overlook,there's improvements at the corner but these improvements don't continue to Stafford. The City is in design for that now to remove plants in the ROW.The department is working with property owners of the historic house to design that and connect to existing asphalt path. Angel Mott-Nickerson asked if there is a City webpage to go to for background on each of the projects? • Information with descriptions from the CIP plan (not the summary) will be sent to the board. Action: Ivan will be seeking input in November for input on draft projects. Will bring the proposed CIP back to the board in December Pickleball: • Board would like an update on pickleball at the next meeting. Greg Wolley asked if the acoustic study was any value? • Ivan said yes, but the south wall has been removed since then. • There are no decibel levels referenced in any city policy or code. • Council could take a look at the noise ordinance and make it more robust or keep it as it stands today. Kara Gapon asked if pickleball could go to Luscher? • Ivan told the board that a pickleball facility cannot go in the UGB at Luscher; not until Clackamas Co has a masterplan and the Luscher area is moved into the City limits. Ed Becker asked Ivan if the department is involved with Metro floating a bond measure? • Ivan told the board the Metro bond is a renewal of their 5-year maintenance levy. 2023 Parks Board Goals: Co-Chair's Sarah Ellison and Doug McKean 2022 Goal completed: Goal 2: Dog Leash Policy. Goal 4: Natural Resources Management Plan Existing goals to keep: 1) Prioritization of Capital Improvement Projects. • Keep as long as there is bond money should still be a goal, and the other one was 2) Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). • Groundwork has been laid.There is more work to be done. Sarah Ellison took a straw poll of the board to support keeping the DEI and CIP as 2023 goals.With a show of hands all members of the board support keeping these two goals. Staff is in contact with the DEI advisory board staff liaison. A joint Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Advisory board and DEI Advisory board will be scheduled in the next few months. 3IPage The board discussed possible goals to work towards in 2023. • Doug brought up the Youth Parks board members interest in student internships and youth engagement. • Councilor Wendland suggested a strategy for how LORAC is envisioned and opportunities for that facility and Rassekh and how all that space is used, what kind of outreach do we need to do to make sure its accessible. • Angel suggested a goal of how people get to and access parks facilities. • Kara suggested use and timing of how people are accessing programs,for example a special pass for joint access across multiple facilities. • Ed would like to see a shuttle or a trolley from downtown LO up 43, McVey and Stafford to access all the LOPR facilities. • Ivan suggested ADA transition plan and climate action plan. Sarah asked about relationship between ADA and DEI. Ivan clarified that ADA is specific to people with disabilities and DEI is that plus everything else.There are specific ADA standards mandated federally for accessible design.There is no money specifically allocated to ADA improvements, but there are funding streams that the City and Department can use. • Ed asked if the department rebranding should be added as a goal?Jan told the board the LORAC visioning goal will be helpful or maybe as an area of interest. Sarah and Doug will work on the 2023 goals and bring them back to the board for discussion and approval. STAFF AND BOARD MONTHLY UPDATE: • Ivan addressed the email video sent to the board about the Waluga neighborhood pathways and trails. The department is not opposed, however there are technical challenges with the designated wetlands and chapter 10 restrictions. Context of the tone -Some of the issues the department is addressing is trespass where back yards have encroached into park property. Chapter 10 was voted into the charter by the people of Lake Oswego. • Jeff thanked the board for writing the letter to Council in support of the Demo Tax for Parks maintenance projects. • Harvest Dash Run at Luscher Farm on Saturday, October 22. • Farmers Market is at the Grove every other Sunday, October 2 to November 27. ADJOURNMENT The next regular scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, November 16, 2022,4 to 6 p.m. Sarah Ellison adjourned the meeting at approximately 6:00p.m. Prepared by, Dina Balogh,Administrative Assistant. 4IPage