ADA Complaint/Grievance Procedure
This grievance procedure is established to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It may be used by anyone who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of services, activities, programs, or benefits by the City of Lake Oswego.
A grievance form can be completed and submitted online, or alternative formats can be requested from the ADA Coordinator.
- The complaint should be in writing (electronic or hard copy).
- The complaint should include the following information:
- a. Name, address, phone number, and email address of the complainant, that is, the person who experienced the alleged discriminatory action on the basis of disability;
- b. Date of the alleged act of discrimination or the date when the complainant became aware of the alleged discrimination;
- c. Location at which the discriminatory action occurred;
- d. Brief but specific description of the discriminatory practice or action and any relevant facts; and
- e. Remedy or resolution desired.
- The complaint should be submitted by the complainant and/or designee as soon as possible but no later than sixty (60) calendar days after the alleged discrimination or knowledge of the alleged discrimination to:
City of Lake Oswego
380 A Ave
Mail: PO BOX 369
Lake Oswego, OR 97034
Phone: 503.635.0282; TTY: 711
- Upon receipt of the complaint, the ADA Coordinator will determine if the complaint information is complete; if additional information is needed; if the City has jurisdiction; and if the complaint is timely.
- The ADA Coordinator will notify the complainant in writing within 10 business days to acknowledge receipt of the complaint.
- The ADA Coordinator will work with the involved department(s) and the complainant to attempt to resolve the complaint. The option of informal meetings may be used at any stage.
- The ADA Coordinator or designee will provide a response in writing, or in an alternative format if requested, to the complainant within 30 business days after the complaint is received.
- In instances where the complainant is dissatisfied with the resolution, they may request a reconsideration of the case. The request for reconsideration should be made in writing, or in an alternative format upon request, to the City Manager within 30 business days of receiving the ADA Coordinator's decision.
- The City Manager or designee will review the complaint, conduct an additional investigation if appropriate, and respond to the complainant in writing, or in an alternative format upon request, within 30 business days after receipt of the request for reconsideration, which shall be the final decision of the City. A copy of the City Manager’s response will be forwarded to the ADA Coordinator.
- The ADA Coordinator will maintain copies of all written ADA complaints, appeals to the City Manager, and responses from these two offices for at least three years.
- Questions about this policy or its application may be directed to the City’s ADA Coordinator office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.635.0282; TTY: 711.