Aquinas Hall, Circa 1930
Location: Pacific Highway
The Marylhurst complex of buildings are historically associated with the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary who have made a major contribution to the state of Oregon by their continued efforts in the area of education. In 1907, the wooded site overlooking the Willamette River was purchased by Archibishop Christie for an orphanage, administrative center, and convent for religious students. In 1929, a campus was created for St. Mary’s College which changed its name to Marylhurst College the following year.
Aquinas Hall is one of many buildings designed by Marylhurst’s primary architect, Josef Jacobberger in association with Alfred Smith. The building is a good example of the Mediterranean style. Characteristic features include the low-pitched gable roof, “bulls-eye” lowered opening in the upper gable, wrought iron railing, and arched entry opening with keystone. This building was originally intended to house a chaplain but given the shortage of student housing, the building was used instead as dormitory space and the chaplain moved into a suite in the administration building. Aquinas Hall is currently used for university offices.