City Attorney Frequently Asked Questions

Legal Advice
Because the City Attorney’s Office serves as legal counsel for the City, we cannot give private legal advice to citizens. We can provide copies of the City’s charter and ordinances (also available at the Lake Oswego Public Library), and are available for questions regarding the City’s laws and procedures. This information is not intended as a substitute for your own lawyer’s advice, but rather to help you better understand the City’s ordinances and rules.

Referral Information to Seek Legal Assistance
Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral: (503) 684-3763
Legal Aid Services of Oregon (Clackamas County): (503) 655-2518

Zoning/Development Violations
Please call the City’s Planning Department at (503) 635-0290.

Consumer Complaints
The City Attorney’s Office has no jurisdiction over consumer complaints. To file a consumer complaint or for information on businesses or business practices and for referrals, please call the Attorney General's Office Consumer Hotline at (503) 378-4320, in the Portland area call (503) 229-5576 or toll-free at (877) 877-9392, 8:30 a.m. - 12 noon, Monday - Friday or the Better Business Bureau at (503) 226-3981. For more information:

Barking Dogs
It is a violation for an owner or keeper who owns or is in physical possession or control of an animal, to permit any animal to cause unreasonable annoyance, alarm or noise disturbance at any time of the day or night by repeated barking, whining, screeching, howling, braying, or other like sounds which may be heard beyond the boundary of the owner’s or keeper’s property. Violation of this law is subject to a civil citation and fine. (LOC 31.02.120(5)).

Door-to-Door Solicitation
Door-to-door solicitation is legal in Lake Oswego if conducted within certain periods of time and not on private property that has a posted “No Solicitation” sign.  Persons who enter private property posted outside of the permitted hours or when a "No Solicitation" sign is posted are guilty of criminal trespass. These restrictions are applicable to any person or group who goes door-to-door for any reason, but only applies to property used for residential purposes. (LOC Article 34.16).  See Door-to-Door Solicitation for more information.

Landlord/Tenant Complaints
The City Attorney's Office has no jurisdiction over landlord/tenant complaints. For further information on landlord/tenant rights and obligations, we suggest landlords and tenants contact their private attorneys. For general information and referrals, we are aware of the following resources:

  1. Landlord and Tenant Laws of Oregon, ORS Chapter 90
  2. Oregon State Bar's Tel-Law: (503) 620-3000 or the OSB Online Website web information.
  3. Oregon Legal Services (Housing): (503) 655-2518. Services for low income Clackamas County residents. Provides advice and representation on tenant issues, i.e., evictions and federally subsidized housing problems. General information is available on the Oregon Legal Services Community Education website.
  4. Oregon Rental Housing Association Telephone: 1-503-364-5468. Information for landlords and renters.



The City of Lake Oswego worldwide web site, including all pages on the site, was developed to provide general information. Data contained at this location, any City of Lake Oswego site, or at any site linked from this or any City location, office, department, or commission have not been reviewed for accuracy or legal sufficiency. The documents displayed are for reference purposes only. Their completeness or currency is not guaranteed. Links or references to other information or organizations do not constitute an endorsement.

Related Links