Oswego Heritage Council - Chautauqua on First Wednesday
This event repeats every month on February, March, April, May, June, November, December on the first Wednesday.
chautauqua: [SHəˈtôkwə] NOUN NORTH AMERICAN an institution that provided popular adult education courses and entertainment in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Please join us for the following presentations from the Oswego Heritage Council. All presentations are free and open to the public.
Unless otherwise noted, all events will take place at the Oswego Heritage House, 398 Tenth Street. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with the presentation starting at 7 p.m. and ending at 8 p.m. Refreshments are served prior to the presentation.
- November 2, 2022. Nancy Dunis will present "I am Dye-ing to vote", an introduction to Eva Emory Dye, local Suffragist and Activist from our past.
- December 7, 2022. OHC's Annual Holiday Marketplace featuring local artisans who will be selling their wares for the holidays. Free and open to the public. Refreshments served throughout the day. Doors open at 1 p.m. and close at 6 p.m.
- January 2023. No Chautauqua on First Wednesday.
- February 1, 2023. Katie Henry will present on Preserving our Heritage
Learn about a new research tool, Northwest Digital Heritage, that can help history enthusiasts find primary sources related to Pacific Northwest History. This tool recently included over 6,800 records from the Lake Oswego Library related to Lake Oswego history. The presentation will also include information on designated Heritage Tradition events in Oregon as well as some other state level initiatives aimed at preserving and sharing untold stories in Oregon and how the public can participate in this process.
Katie Henry is the Oregon Heritage Commission Coordinator for Oregon Heritage, a division of Oregon Parks and Recreation Department that includes the State Historic Preservation Office. She has over 16 years of experience working in various heritage organization including Oswego Heritage Council and has been working with Oregon Heritage since 2016.
- March 1, 2023. Courtney Clements will present on Local Diaries
- April 5, 2023 in conjunction with Lake Oswego Reads. Dr. Stephen Beckham will present on a topic germaine to the chosen book "The Seed Keepers". This special event will be held in the theater at The Springs at Lake Oswego (3900 SW Kruse Way Place)
- May 3, 2023. Charlene Green will present "If Walls Could Talk" discussing how to trace the history of a house. This event will be held at the Lake Oswego Public Library so that attendees can use the resources available there.
- June 7, 2023. Tentative. Cecilia Otto, American Songline, will debut her Prohibition program at Chautauqua. The tenative specal event will be held at The Springs at Lake Oswego.