The City of Lake Oswego values and supports quality education recognizing that quality education is typically good for the social and economic interests of a community.
Lake Oswegans have access to a variety of high quality educational opportunities that provide for lifelong learning, including: the Lake Oswego School District (LOSD), private primary and secondary schools, Marylhurst University, and close proximity to Lewis and Clark College and Portland Community College Sylvania campus. In addition, the City provides learning opportunities through the City Parks and Recreation Department.
- The Lake Oswego School District has some of the highest graduation rates and school performance ratings in the region. The District is committed to providing each student with a strong academic program in a safe and supportive educational environment. Local schools strive to foster a love of learning, to instill a sense of personal, civic and social responsibility, and to develop the intellectual, physical and social skills necessary for life-long personal achievement.
- Marylhurst University, Oregon's oldest Catholic university, has been located at the southeast end of Lake Oswego since 1930. Marylhurst University offers accredited liberal arts and professional programs that affirm life experience and help students achieve personal goals. Flexible options, customized degree programs, conveniently scheduled classes and distance learning are just some of the ways Marylhurst meets expectations of students with busy lives.
- Portland Community College’s Sylvania Campus is located in suburban Southwest Portland between Lake Oswego and Tigard. The campus opened in 1968 and is the largest of the three campuses serving approximately 25,000 students annually. The Sylvania Campus is home to the PCC nursing and dental programs, which have national reputations for excellence. Sylvania also provides college transfer, professional and technical programs, and developmental education.
- Additional colleges and universities in the area include: Lewis and Clark College, Portland State University, University of Portland, Oregon Health and Science University, Oregon Graduate Institute, Pacific University, George Fox University, Linfield College, Reed College, Warner Pacific College, Concordia University, and Mt. Hood Community College.
- Lake Oswego is also home to several private schools offering education from prekindergarten through high school.