2023 Waterline Rehabilitation Project
Background and Scope
Water Distribution Rehabilitation projects are designed to replace aging water infrastructure in the distribution system either identified in the Water System Master Plan, by Operational Staff, or ahead of other projects. This phase of work includes replacing approximately 4,000 lineal feet of 2” to 8” wide waterlines located in the following streets:
- Cabana Lane from North Shore Road to 644 Cabana Lane
- Galen Road from 73-80 to end (hydrant)
- Johnson Terrace from Hazel Road to end
- Pioneer Court from Bryant Road to end
- Touchstone from Hotspur to Falstaff
- Uplands Drive from Wembley Park Road to Ridgecrest Drive
These pipelines have reached the end of their useful life and are more susceptible to leaks and breaks until they have been replaced. The project will replace these pipelines with new ductile iron pipes and associated services to the existing water meter boxes.
In early October, preliminary work is expected to start ahead of major construction. This work may include marking utilities in the right-of-way, exploratory digging for utilities, surveying, installing erosion control and tree protection fencing, and mobilizing equipment. Following preliminary work, major construction will begin to replace the waterlines and service connections.
What to expect during construction:
- Work hours are 7 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday to Friday, and some Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Lane closures or possibly road closures may be in place during work hours. Please expect some delays and plan extra travel time.
- Crews will be working on each street at different times over the coming months. There may be long periods where no work is taking place as crews are working on other streets.
- During work hours, please expect an increase in noise, dust, and vibration. Equipment and construction activities from jackhammers, saw cutting, excavators, and back-up alarms can be very loud.
- Residents or businesses will be notified of any planned temporary water shutoffs in advance with a doorhanger.
- At times, on-street parking may be temporarily reduced.
- Equipment and materials will be stored on-site and within the public right-of-way.
- Restoration of the work areas and public right-of-way will take place once major construction is complete.
Design work is complete and the City expects to go out to bid for a contractor in June or July 2023. Construction is expected to start in late summer or fall, and continue through the end of 2023.
More information about what to expect during construction will be provided once a contractor is on board.
Please note, schedules are subject to change.