2023/2024 Waterline Rehabilitation Project
Background and Scope
Water Distribution Rehabilitation projects are designed to replace aging water infrastructure in the distribution system either identified in the Water System Master Plan, by Operational Staff, or ahead of other projects. This phase of work includes replacing approximately 4,000 lineal feet of 2” to 8” wide waterlines located in the following streets:
- Cabana Lane from North Shore Road to 644 Cabana Lane
- Galen Road from 73-80 to end (hydrant)
- Johnson Terrace from Hazel Road to end
- Pioneer Court from Bryant Road to end
- Touchstone from Hotspur to Falstaff
- Yorick loop off Touchstone
- Uplands Drive from Wembley Park Road to Ridgecrest Drive
These pipelines have reached the end of their useful life and are more susceptible to leaks and breaks until they have been replaced. The project will replace these pipelines with new ductile iron pipes and associated services to the existing water meter boxes.
February 13, 2024:
- Crews have mobilized to Uplands Drive to begin potholing and mainline work. This work will continue over the coming weeks. During work hours, the road is closed to through traffic between Wembley Park Road and Ridgecrest Drive.
- Crews are also testing the newly installed waterline and switching services on Yorick and Touchstone.
- On Friday, 2/16, crews are scheduled to pave Galen Road from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. No parking signs will be installed. Please be aware that once paving starts residents will no longer be able to drive in or out through the affected area. However, foot traffic will have access to all areas. Paving is weather dependent.
- Work will continue on Uplands Drive.
- Paving is tentatively scheduled for Pioneer Court on Tuesday, 2/20
February 12, 2024:
Due to an emergency sewer main break and repair work, the contractor is not working on Uplands Drive today and the road remains open. They expect to be starting on Uplands either Tuesday, February 13 or Wednesday, February 14 instead.
February 9, 2024:
- Crews worked on installing services and testing the new mainline on Touchstone.
- Crews worked on the Bryant Road waterline connection to Pioneer Court.
Next week (February 12):
- Crews will continue installing mainline and services on Yorick, followed by testing and chlorination. Testing and restoration work will continue on Touchstone.
- Crews will mobilize to Uplands Road to start potholing for utilities and working on the mainline. What to expect:
- Starting Monday, February 12, Uplands Road is expected to be closed to all through traffic between Wembley Park Road and Ridgecrest Drive from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- No through traffic will be allowed in the active work zone and closure area on Uplands Drive. (Through traffic = any vehicle that can take another route to get to their destination.
- The closure is expected to be in place for about a month. There may be periods where no work is taking place and the closure is lifted temporarily as crews are working on other streets.
January 30, 2024:
The recent winter storm slightly delayed the schedule.
- Crews are working on the Bryant Road waterline connection to Pioneer Court and testing the new lines.
- Crews are working on the mainline on Touchstone and services.
- Crews are also starting work on the Yorick mainline.
Next week (Feb 5):
- Finish up installation of mainline and services on Yorick.
- Testing of new mainline on Touchstone.
Two weeks out (Feb 12):
- Testing new main and services on Yorick.
- Crews will start preliminary work on Uplands Road ramping up to mainline installation the following weeks. Expect a daytime road closure during work hours (M-F 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.) on Uplands for mainline and services installation. Road will be closed to through traffic, access for residents will be permitted. All other traffic please use the short detour on Crest Drive. Once the mainline work is complete residents can expect periodic closures for testing and switch over work.
January 9, 2024:
Crews are working on tie-in work on Pioneer this week. They have also started installing new waterline on Touchstone.
Next week, weather dependent, the tie-in work on Pioneer/Bryant Road is scheduled to take place. Lane closures will be in place on Bryant Road between Kelok Road and Royce Way from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday to Friday to accomodate this work. During work hours, please expect some delays and plan extra travel time.
Crews will also be working on service connections on Touchstone.
During the week of January 22, crews expect to start working on the mainline on Yorick, which was recently added to the project scope.
December 19, 2023:
Crews are continuing to test and chlorinate the new lines on Galen Street and Pioneer Court.
The tie-in work on Bryant has been rescheduled until the January.
Crews are planning no work for the week of December 25.
December 12, 2023:
This week, crews are working on installing the new waterline and services on Galen Street. Testing, chlorination and restoration will follow over the next two weeks.
Crews are also testing and checking services for leaks this week on Pioneer Court. The week of December 18, crews will be tying in the new waterline to an existing line on Bryant Road, near Cardinal Drive. Lane closures will be in place on Bryant Road between Kelok Road and Royce Way from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday to Friday to accomodate this work. During work hours, please expect some delays and plan extra travel time.
Later this week, crews may start surveying and potholing for utilities on Touchstone.
Crews are currently planning on taking the week of December 25 off, however this is subject to change.
December 4, 2023:
Potholing for utilities and preparation work is starting on Galen Street. Waterline work is expected to start in the next week and continue over the coming weeks.
Service connections are taking place on Pioneer Court this week, along with chlorination testing.
Work is wrapping up on Johnson Terrace. Final restoration and trench paving will occur when the weather improves.
November 14, 2023
Work has been progressing well on new waterline and services on Johnson Terrace. Flushing and testing is expected to take place in the next week, along with restoration work.
Potholing and preparation work is starting on Pioneer Court. Waterline work is expected to start later this week and continue over the coming weeks. No work will take place on Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving.
October 31, 2023
The contractor has been conducting potholing, exploratory digging, marking utilities, and installing erosion control and tree protection fencing.
Starting the week of November 6, work is expected to begin on the new pipelines and services on Johnson Terrace. Lane closures will be in place during work hours, however, on Friday, November 10th Johnson Terrace and Hazel Road will be closed to traffic for the pipeline work.
Starting the week of November 13, work is expected to begin on Pioneer Court and take up to three weeks to complete.
Residents or businesses will be notified of any planned temporary water shutoffs in advance with a doorhanger.
October 18, 2023
Crews are planning to start preliminary potholing/exploratory digging the week of October 23 on all streets. Crews then plan to start major construction on the mainlines and services the week of November 6. At this stage, the contractor plans to work in the following order of streets:
- Johnson Terrace
- Pioneer Court
- Galen Road
- Cabana Lane (east)
- Cabana Lane (west)
- Uplands Drive
Residents should expect to receive a doorhanger notice at least 48-hours ahead of the major pipeline construction work, in early November.
In early October, preliminary work is expected to start ahead of major construction. This work may include marking utilities in the right-of-way, exploratory digging for utilities, surveying, installing erosion control and tree protection fencing, and mobilizing equipment. Following preliminary work, major construction will begin to replace the waterlines and service connections.
What to expect during construction:
- Work hours are 7 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday to Friday, and some Saturdays, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Lane closures or possibly road closures may be in place during work hours. Please expect some delays and plan extra travel time.
- Crews will be working on each street at different times over the coming months. There may be long periods where no work is taking place as crews are working on other streets.
- During work hours, please expect an increase in noise, dust, and vibration. Equipment and construction activities from jackhammers, saw cutting, excavators, and back-up alarms can be very loud.
- Residents or businesses will be notified of any planned temporary water shutoffs in advance with a doorhanger.
- At times, on-street parking may be temporarily reduced.
- Equipment and materials will be stored on-site and within the public right-of-way.
- Restoration of the work areas and public right-of-way will take place once major construction is complete.
Design work is complete and the City expects to go out to bid for a contractor in June or July 2023. Construction is expected to start in late summer or fall, and continue through the end of 2023.
More information about what to expect during construction will be provided once a contractor is on board.
Please note, schedules are subject to change.