Blue Heron Sewer Rehabilitation Project
The Blue Heron Sewer Line, located in the Blue Heron neighborhood, was built in 1962. A recent inspection of the pipe found the system is reaching the end of its useful life and is due for rehabilitation or replacement.
The Blue Heron Sewer Project is rehabilitating and replacing the sewer lines in Cardinal Drive and in the Blue Heron Canal, to extend their life and reduce infiltration and inflow (I/I) reaching the Lake Oswego Interceptor Sewer.
To minimize impacts and apply the Council's dig-once philosophy, construction on this project is also incorporating replacing the stormwater culvert pipeline located on Blue Heron Road at the intersection of South Shore Road. For more information about that project, visit the project webpage.
The work within Blue Heron canal will include cured in place pipe (CIPP) liners and High-density polyethylene (HDPE) replacement of the mainline as well as installing new cleanouts and HDPE laterals.
- Replace existing 883-foot sewer main with 12-inch new pipe
- CIPP line 575 feet of 12-inch sewer main
- Install approximately 2,500 linear feet of 6-inch sewer lateral replacements (the pipe that connects an individual home or business to the main sewer line) and 36 new cleanouts (service line access points)
- Several new manholes
The work along Cardinal Drive will include installing CIPP lining into the sewer mains and laterals and add new cleanouts at the property line.
- 2,200 feet of 8-inch, 885 feet of 10-inch, and 160 feet of 12-inch CIPP liner
- Manhole rehabilitation and replacement
- Approximately 1,500 linear feet of 6-inch lateral liner
- Install 50 new cleanouts at the property line
Rehab Methods - Cured in Place Pipe
The sewer main line will be rehabilitated using a method called cured in place pipe (CIPP). For this method, a flexible fabric liner, filled with resin, is typically inserted into the existing pipe segments through an existing manhole. Once the liner is in place the liner is expanded to the shape of the pipe and the resin is cured using an ultraviolet or thermal curing process. The liner essentially forms a smooth surface inside the existing pipe, restoring it to near-new condition.
The advantages of this method include limited excavation which minimizes construction cost and impacts to the community during construction.
The construction period is expected to take place between summer 2023 to early 2024. Construction of the canal portion is planned to occur during the Lakecorp's lake drawdown in fall 2023 to early 2024.
November 19, 2023
Construction of the in-canal phase of work for the Blue Heron Sewer Rehabilitation project has been underway since early October, in conjunction with the Lake Corp’s drawdown of the lake. Some final pipe work remains on Cardinal Drive. Key information:
- Sewer cleanouts and laterals are being installed for some properties along the canal. If you have questions or concerns about the locations of these, please contact Javier Moncada on firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-675-2533.
- Typical work hours for the in-canal work are Monday-Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., with Saturdays and Sundays 8 a.m.—6 p.m. These extended hours are in place so the contractor can complete the in-canal work by the end of December, in coordination with the Lakecorp’s drawdown timeline.
- Pumps have been running 24/7 in the canal to keep the work areas dry enough and to also ensure a sewer bypass line continues to operate while the new sewer line and service laterals are being installed. Thank you for your patience as these pumps can be noisy, particularly at night.
- Caution: the temporary access ramp provides the contractor access to conduct the work within the canal. Please do not walk along this ramp/road. It is an active construction zone and unsafe to the public: there are tripping hazards, culverts, construction equipment, and materials.
- During work hours, intermittent lane closures continue to be in place with flaggers directing traffic at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Boulevard.
- Restoration and clean-up of the work areas will take place once major construction is complete, likely in January 2024. However, some paving work may occur in spring as it is weather dependent.
October 23, 2023
The Lakecorp started drawing water down in the lake in late September, which has allowed crews to prepare for working in the canal. Crews started constructing the temporary access ramp in early October. They will use this ramp to access the canal for their equipment to do the pipe lining and pipe replacement (shown below).
Crews are now starting to prepare pipe segments to install in the canal, and have a temporary sewer bypass system set up for the construction zone (shown below).
Major work on the stormwater culvert underneath Blue Heron Road at the intersection of South Shore Blvd is now complete. Crews installed the new culvert in late September (shown below).
During construction, residents and the traveling public should expect some temporary delays and flaggers or lane closures at times near the intersection of South Shore and Blue Heron. This is intermittent during work hours.
All major pipe work is complete on Cardinal Drive and the side streets, but some miscellanous clean up and restoration work continues.
Work in the canal will continue until early 2024.
September 8, 2023
Construction of the Blue Heron Sewer Rehabilitation project has been underway along Cardinal Drive and some side streets since July. Work along Cardinal Drive is expected to be complete in late September. Thank you for your continued patience during this phase of work and the extended road closure.
Crews are now getting ready to begin working on the next phase of the project, which involves sewer rehabilitation work taking place in the Blue Heron Canal itself, along with replacing a storm culvert at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Boulevard.
This work is expected to start in early October and continue through late 2023, in conjunction with the Lake Corp’s planned drawdown of the lake.
What to expect during this phase of work:
- Typical Work hours for the in-canal work are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., but Saturday and Sunday work may be needed to meet the drawdown timeline. Work hours may be extended.
- A temporary access ramp will be built at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Blvd, to provide the city contractor access to conduct the work within the canal during the lake drawdown.
- Intermittent lane closures will be in place with flaggers directing traffic at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Boulevard. Please expect some delays and plan extra time during work hours.
- Restoration of the work areas will take place once major construction is complete.
- Impacted residents will be notified in advance via doorhangers of any temporary service interruptions.
August 17, 2023
Work is Ramping Up on Cardinal Drive
Crews have been installing sewer laterals and cleanouts within the project area on Cardinal Drive. In the next week or so, a second crew will begin working in the project area on pipe work.
The road closure hours on Cardinal Drive have been extended to 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., until school returns. Once school is back in session, the road closure will be limited to 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
In the next week or so, a cluster of trees will be removed at the South Shore bridge. This is to allow the contractors to build the temporary access ramp later into the canal later this October. During the tree removal work, expect lane closures on South Shore Road and a portion of Blue Heron Road from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Phase 2: Blue Heron Canal Work Starts in October
Phase 2 involves sewer rehabilitation work taking place in the Blue Heron Canal itself. Work in the canal is expected to take place during the Lake Corp’s planned drawdown, starting October 1. A temporary access ramp is expected to be built at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Blvd, to provide the contractor access to conduct the work within the canal during the lake drawdown.
July 28, 2023 - Upcoming Road Closures on Cardinal Drive
Starting the week of August 7, Cardinal Drive will be closed to all through traffic between Bryant Road and Wren Street from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- There may be several active work zones within the closure area on Cardinal Drive.
- No through traffic will be allowed in the active work zone(s) on Cardinal Drive. (Through traffic = any vehicles that can take another route to get to their destination).
- Signage will direct through traffic around the closure area(s).
- Residents located north of the active work zone(s) will need to travel via South Shore Boulevard between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Residents located south of the active work zone(s) on Cardinal Drive will need to travel via Bryant Road between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Emergency access will be maintained at all times.
- Access for residents living in the active work zone(s) will be maintained at most times, but there will be periods where driveways are temporarily blocked.
- The closures are expected to be in place through early October.
- Please stay clear of work zones, abide by traffic control signage, and drive safely.
July 6, 2023
Preliminary construction activities including cleaning lines, videoing sewer mains, installing erosion control and tree protection fencing, surveying, marking utilities, and bringing equipment to site etc. are expected to start in mid-July, followed by major pipe work. Major construction is expected to be complete in late 2023.
Construction will be taking place in phases. Phase 1 involves work taking place on Cardinal Drive and several side streets. In addition, work will also be taking place at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Blvd on a storm culvert project. Phase 1 is expected to be complete in fall 2023.
What to expect during Phase 1:
- Work hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. Some work may take place on Saturdays from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Intermittent lane closures will be in place with flaggers directing traffic in the work zones. Please expect some delays and plan extra time during work hours.
- Access will be maintained for residents, mail services, garbage collection and emergency providers throughout construction; however, at times some on-street parking may be limited.
- Equipment and pipe materials will be stored in the public right-of-way (during and after work hours) and within work zones.
- Construction can be loud, dusty, and cause traffic delays. Working equipment includes truck traffic, excavators, compactors, steel plates and other heavy equipment.
- Restoration of the road and right-of-way will take place once major construction is complete.
- Impacted residents will be notified in advance via doorhangers of any temporary service interruptions.
Phase 2 involves sewer rehabilitation work taking place in the Blue Heron Canal itself. Work in the canal is expected to take place during the Lake Corp’s planned drawdown, in fall 2023. A temporary access ramp is expected to be built at the intersection of Blue Heron Road and South Shore Blvd, to provide the contractor access to conduct the work within the canal during the lake drawdown. Phase 2 is expected to be complete by late 2023.
Schedules are subject to change as conditions and weather can be somewhat unpredictable.
June 6, 2023
A contractor was hired in early 2023. Construction of the pipeline on Cardinal Drive is expected to take place in late July or early August 2023 and continue through early fall. More information will be provided shortly.
October 26, 2022
As part of this project, a service line access point (cleanout) will be installed on the City-owned portion of each sewer lateral (the pipe that connects an individual home or business to the main sewer line). The cleanout is expected to be located in the sidewalk or behind the sidewalk at the right-of-way/property line.
On November 2 and 4, 2022, members of the project team will be in the project area to locate cleanouts in the field.
October 4, 2022
This summer, the project team conducted a geotechnical soil exploration in the Blue Heron canal to help with finalizing design plans for the project. The work was performed from a barge that was set up in the canal. Soil testing was performed at 30 different locations.
July 21, 2021
A team from Carollo Engineers, AKS Engineers, and ProPipe will be locating sanitary sewer laterals along Cardinal Drive, Wren Court, Cedar Road, Blue Heron Road, and Blue Heron Drive.
While many of the laterals connect to sewer mains in the public right-of-way, homes with sewer laterals draining toward the sewer main in Blue Heron Bay will have lateral located at the sea wall. For those properties, Carollo Engineers will be reaching out to property owners directly to schedule the lateral locate. Where there is exterior access to the sewer cleanout, representatives from ProPipe will need to access the back yard. Where outside access does not exist, ProPipe will need to access a basement or floor drain inside the home.
This work is expected to take place between August 9, 2021 and September 3, 2021.