Finance Department Frequently Asked Questions

These are common questions that are inquired of the Finance Department.  A link is provided in blue where there is more information available on the website.

Basic Finance Department Questions

Where is the Finance Department located?  City Hall 380 A Avenue, Lake Oswego  -  3rd Floor

Do I have to get my dog licensed?
Yes. Oregon law requires that every dog in the state be licensed at six months of age or when it has permanent canine teeth. Dog License applications may be obtained at City Hall. Fees range from $30 for a one-year license for a spayed or neutered dog to $150 for a three-year license for a dog that has not been surgically altered.

Call 503-635-0255 for further information.

Does the City provide notary services?

Due to a lack of volunteers, notary services at the Library are suspended indefinitely.

For more information on notary services, including training requirements and locating notaries in your area, visit the Secretary of State's website.

If you are a Notary Public and willing to volunteer your services, please call the library's Volunteer Coordinator, Nancy Niland at 503-675-2538.

Where do I apply for a passport?

Passports applications are by appointment only 8:00 a.m - 3:30 p.m. at the Finance counter on the 3rd floor of City Hall, Monday through Friday.   

Utility Payments

What are the components of my utility bill?
The four utility services that the City invoices monthly are Water, Sewer, Stormwater, and Street Maintenance.

How do I find information on water conservation?
The Water Conservation page is located under the Public Works department.

Can I receive my utility bill by email?
Yes.  You can sign up for E-Statements to have your bill sent directly to your email instead of by regular mail. Contact the utility department for more information on this convenient service at (503) 635-0265.

I'm paying my water bill... who do I make the check out to?
Checks for water bills should be made payable to "City of Lake Oswego" and mailed to:

      City of Lake Oswego
      PO Box 35147 #5890
      Seattle, WA 98124-5147

Can I pay my utility bill electronically?
Yes. Our Utility Department has an "auto-pay" program called EasyPay. Your bank will pay the bill straight from your bank account, allowing plenty of time to review your bill and call us with any questions before your payment is due. An application for the EasyPay program can be obtained at City Hall or by calling our Utility Department at 503-635-0265.

Another way to pay your bill electronically is with your MasterCard or VISA credit card using UtilityOnline. This is an on-line program, where you can review your utility account, history, and consumption, as well as place service requests, and make credit card payments on-line from the convenience and security of your home computer.

Why are utility rate increases needed?
Utility rate increases may be necessary to generate additional revenue for capital improvements as approved in the City's 6-year capital improvement plan. The City Council's goal is to only increase utility rates moderately, when necessary, to minimize the financial hardship to utility customers.

How do I get my water turned off for an emergency?

If you have an emergency or need to have your water turned off, the City can assist in that effort.

  • Getting Your Water Turned Off
    If you would like to schedule an appointment to turn your water off at the City's shut-off valve, please call Public Works at (503) 635-0280. Appointments can be made Monday through Friday from 8:00 am - 2:30 pm. There is no charge for this service during regular business hours, however, if you require after hours assistance there is a charge of $80.00.

  • Emergency Water Shut-off - Call 503-635-0238
    If you have an emergency after business hours and need to get your water turned off, please call the Lake Oswego Police Dispatch at 503-635-0238.

Population, Taxes, and the Budget

What is the population of the City of Lake Oswego?
City population over the last ten years has been as follows:

Year Population
2010 36,755
2011 36,845
2012 36,725
2013 36,770
2014 36,990
2015 37,105
2016 37,300
2017 37,430
2018 37,497
2019 38,215
2020 38,705
2021 39,480

How many employees does the City have?
The City currently has budgeted 358.8 full-time equivalents.

Where does the City get its money?
The largest source comes from property taxes. The second largest source comes from sales and services such as utility charges.

Where does the City spend its money?
Currently, the City has 21 separate funds set up for different purposes. The major funds include the General Fund and the Utility funds.  The General Fund includes various departments such as General Administration, Police, Fire, Parks and Recreation, Library, and Planning.

Who collects property taxes for the City? Where do I go with questions about that?
The majority of the City of Lake Oswego is located in Clackamas County. Property taxes are collected by the Clackamas County Department of Assessment & Taxation. This county agency then distributes the City's portion as collected. For questions and/or inquires, please contact the Assessor's Office at 503-655-8671.  (Small areas of the City are located in Multnomah and Washington counties.  Those counties also collect their respective property taxes for the City.)

When is the budget for the City of Lake Oswego presented?
The budget process for developing the City's budget begins in the spring of each year with adoption by the City Council targeted for June. The Budget Committee has 7 elected City Council members and 7 appointed citizens, all with equal voting rights. After the committee reviews and recommends changes, if any, the budget is forwarded to the City Council for formal adoption prior to the end of the current fiscal year, June 30.

Where can I get a copy of the City's budgets and/or year-end audit reports?
Budgets and audit reports are available online. Alternatively, the Finance Department at City Hall will provide a copy of the report at a cost of $25 each. You may also review copies of these documents at the Library in the Reference section.

The City's Larger Financial Picture

How much bonded debt does the City of Lake Oswego have?
See municipal bond issues.

What are the credit or bond ratings for the City of Lake Oswego?
A credit rating is a current opinion of the credit worthiness of an obligor with respect to a financial obligation. View the City of Lake Oswego credit ratings.

What is the City of Lake Oswego's D-U-N-S Number?
This number is a distinctive nine-digit identification provided by Dun & Bradstreet which links the user to a wealth of quality information products and services an organization provides. The City's number is: 06-524-8932.

What is the City of Lake Oswego's Tax ID Number?
This number is a distinctive nine-digit identification provided by the Internal Revenue Service. The City's number is: 93-6002231.

How do I purchase bonds issued by the City?
These bonds are sold through an investment broker. Contact your broker and inquire whether the firm has any available for purchase.

Payroll Information

What are the Payroll Minimums and Limits - Effective January 1, 2022?

  • Oregon's Minimum Wage Rate (Portland Metro) ,effective July 1, 2021, $14.00 per hour & July 1, 2022, $14.75 per hour
  • Deferred Comp maximum contribution $20,500, if over age 50 maximum is $26,500 (Catch-Up maximum is $6,000)
  • Social Security taxable wage maximum $147,000
  • IRS Mileage Rate is 58.5 cents per mile
  • Public Transit reimbursement limit is $280 per month
  • Dependent Care FSA deferral maximum is $5,000 for individual or Married couples filing jointly & $2,550 for individuals that are Married and file separate tax returns
  • Health Care/Medical FSA deferral maximum is $2,850