Business & Economic Assistance

Is the City doing anything to help support low-income residents or utility customers impacted by the crisis?

Yes, the City is offering temporary utility payment assistance to Lake Oswego utility customers impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.

The Temporary Utility Assistance Program will help Lake Oswego utility account customers with their utility bill. Funding for the program will come from donations and will be administered by a non-profit selected by the City.

The City has contributed $20,000 to the fund, but anyone can donate through our City website: www.ci.oswego.or.us/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/temporary-utility-assistance. Eligibility requirements and how to apply details are available on the City’s Temporary Utility Assistance website. You can also call Utility Billing for more information: 503-635-0265 or email utility@lakeoswego.city.

Information on how to apply for this program will be shared when funds become available (early May).

Is the City doing anything locally to help support businesses?

Yes! There are four primary actions taking place:

  1. “Open for Business” database. The City & Chamber have created a database list and map of all businesses open during COVID-19 (see question below).
  2. City-funded $250,000 grant program for local businesses that are not allowed to operate or whose operations have been curtailed by Governor Brown’s executive order. Applications opened April 9. Due to the overwhelming response and high volume of applications, the application process is now closed. Recipients have been notified.
  3. Reducing regulatory barriers and burdens to businesses that are impacted by the crisis, including allowing additional temporary signs, relaxing parking restrictions (for pick-up, drop-off), and waiving fees for renewal of business licenses during the crisis. Please contact the Planning with questions, 503-635-0290 or planning@lakeoswego.city
  4. City and Chamber are exploring a mentor program for businesses. If you are interested email Scot Siegel

I am a business that is still open in Lake Oswego. Do you have a list or map on your website?

Yes! The City and Lake Oswego Chamber of Commerce has created a list of Lake Oswego businesses that are open and providing essential services to residents during the COVID-19 crisis. Local businesses are encouraged to provide information about their services, including hours and delivery/pick-up options, as well as any need for support. The Survey can be found on the City’s COVID-19 webpage under “Business & Employee Resources” or https://bit.ly/2yoyHuc

We have now launched a new, interactive Lake Oswego ‘Open for Business Map’ based on our ‘Open for Business’ list!

The “open for business” list is on City’s COVID-19 webpage under “Business & Employee Resources.”

I heard there was a Federal stimulus package to help businesses, how can I get more information? 

Refer to Senator Merkley’s FAQ sheet “20.03.26 Small Business Assistance Info and FAQ” or visit the US Chamber of Commerce website: 

I am a business and have been forced to close. How can I get help? 

The Small Business Association (SBA) provides low-interest disaster loans to help businesses and homeowners recover from declared disasters.

If your Clackamas County business has experienced economic injury from the COVID-19 pandemic, please complete the Estimated Disaster Economic Injury Worksheet and email it to 4Biz@clackamas.us Forms will be collected and shared with state agencies.

The Economic Injury Disaster Loan provides low-interest working capital loans to small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives and most private nonprofit organizations. 


Governor’s Executive Order and Easing of Restrictions

When is all of Oregon reopening?

Governor Brown's framework for rebuilding a safe and strong Oregon, includes guidance for counties and businesses on a phased reopening. While a majority of Oregon counties have now been approved for Phase 1 reopening, Multnomah and Washington counties have not. For the latest information from the governor, visit https://govstatus.egov.com/or-covid-19

Is Clackamas County open?

Governor Brown approved Clackamas County to begin enter Phase 1 starting May 23. Now that Clackamas County is entering Phase 1, there is more flexibility for who can open. These areas include:

  • Restaurants and bars
  • Personal care services such as salons and barber shops
  • Gyms and fitness centers
  • Local gatherings for 25 or fewer with physical distancing
  • Malls and shopping centers

Businesses in these categories who feel they are ready to open while following the health and safety guidelines can visit https://govstatus.egov.com/reopening-oregon#phase1

While restrictions may be easing, we are not returning to life as we knew it or business as usual. The coronavirus is still present, dangerous and poses a great threat to many people.

We can all protect the health and safety of our friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors. Please respect and follow the safety measures our local businesses implement. Your actions impact others - be thoughtful and considerate of your neighbors and please be safe.

How long does Phase 1 last?

After 21 days in Phase 1, counties continuing to meet the prerequisites may be able to enter Phase 2. Specific details and guidelines regarding Phase 2 and Phase 3 are still being developed by the state.

We ask residents to continue to abide by the governor’s order, to ensure the progress we have made against the virus is not lost. We encourage local businesses to review the Governor’s plans and adhere to the required guidelines, to help Clackamas County reopen.

What does this mean for Lake Oswego?

For Lake Oswego, the health, safety, and wellness of our community and staff continues to be the City’s top priority. We will continue to comply with the Executive Order and will work within the Governor’s framework for reopening Oregon. 

Which businesses opened statewide on May 15?

  • Stand-alone retail that was previously closed but can follow OSHA guidelines: furniture stores, art galleries, jewelry shops and boutiques. This does not include shopping centers or malls. 
  • Childcare, summer school, camps and youth programs (with limitations and specific guidelines) 

I have questions about if, when and how my business can reopen. Who should I contact?

Please contact the Clackamas County Call Center: 503-655-8224 (open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. -5 p.m.) or email 4biz@clackamas.us.

What guidance do I need to adhere to in order to reopen?

For Phase 1 businesses, there are sector-specific guidelines that must be met in order to operate. Some of these include requirements for face coverings, signage, and physical distancing measures to put in place.

For sector-specific guidance businesses need to follow: https://govstatus.egov.com/or-covid-19

For more information on the framework: https://drive.google.com/…/1JM2dwYVK4Y4IBxMT6Si5-H_LNu…/view

Where can I find information about accessing PPE to help prepare my business for reopening?

Business Oregon has created a Supply Connector resource to connect businesses and communities with Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) manufacturers and suppliers to fight the spread of COVID-19 and keep employees safe. https://supplyconnector.org/states/oregon/

This tool provides a searchable database of businesses they have identified that can help provide PPE. The system also serves to connect businesses up and down the supply chain from raw materials, manufacturing needs, packaging, distribution, etc.

Do I need to notify the City when opening? Or take any additional steps?

You do not need to notify the City when reopening business services. However, we encourage you to fill out the City’s “Open for Business” list, https://bit.ly/2yoyHuc.

We promote this on the City’s website and it is a free tool for business and residents. Additionally, you may want to consider extra signage outside or promotion. We are happy to help any questions you might have.

Also, as a “spring cleaning” reminder, please turn on your water taps through the building. Some stagnant water might be in the pipes from the building being closed. It is best to flush the pipes briefly. The City recommends that buildings reopening after an extended closure follow the “Guidance for Reopening Building Water Systems after a Prolonged Shutdown.”

I am local business owner with questions about how to comply with the Governor’s Executive Order. Who do I contact? 

Businesses with fewer than 100 employees (or no employees) can contact the Office of Small Business Assistance via email at business.sos@oregon.gov or call 1-844-469-5512 for help.  Employers can also call the Bureau of Labor & Industries (BOLI)’s Technical Assistance hotline at 971-673-0824 or email bolita@boli.state.or.us

People are not adhering to social distancing – landscapers and contractors in particular. What are you going to do about it? Are they exempt from the governor’s order?

If you are concerned about companies not complying with the Governor’s Executive Order and are able to get the name and/or phone number of the businesses, please contact the Citizen Information Center.  We will contact the company directly and address the concerns about compliance and/or social distancing.  For landscaping and contractors, these businesses are not subject to closure under the order, but we can provide information about proper social distancing.  To contact the City, please call our Citizen Information Center 503-635-0257 and email cic@lakeoswego.city

What about construction on city projects and private construction? How is that impacted? Is it still allowed under the order?  

Although Governor Brown’s executive order restricts or closes many businesses and services, the City remains open to serve our community and provide essential services. Our hearts go out to the members of our community whose lives and businesses are disrupted. As this crisis unfolds, we will continue active construction on our City projects. Our goal is to continue to serve our Lake Oswego community in this uncertain time, keep the economy moving, and provide essential, well-maintained infrastructure to our residents.  

Where can I find more information about the Governor’s order? 

Visit www.oregon.gov/newsroom/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?newsid=36240 or the Governor’s webpage: https://govstatus.egov.com/or-covid-19

City Services & Closures

What does it mean when the City declares a State of an Emergency?

The declaration allows more flexibility and authorization for the City Manager to take actions to help protect the health and safety of the community. This includes allowing for more flexibility with purchasing, resources, and adjusting City codes if necessary. 

Is the City still open and operating? 

Yes! Our doors might be closed, but we are still here to serve our community and provide essential services. Some services may be online and over the phone, but we are here for you!

When will city facilities and buildings reopen?

The City has been planning on how to reopen. There are still many uncertainties and unknowns and we know that the virus is not going away. Therefore, the reopening will look different.

The City will be taking a four-phase approach to reopening. Taking a controlled-reopening approach gives the City adequate time to implement and evaluate protective strategies. It also allows us to manage the return to full City operations while ensuring the safety of employees and the public. 

  • Planning Phase: Planning/preparation. City facilities remain closed to the public.
  • Phase 1: City facilities remain closed to walk-in traffic. However, some City Hall services are expected to be available by appointment beginning the week of June 1. For more information or to make an appointment, call the Citizen Information Center at 503-635-0257. You can also call the appropriate department directly. Some additional Parks and Recreation services will also be restored during Phase 1. 
  • Phase 2: Some City facilities reopen with strict physical distancing requirements and with occupancy limits.
  • Phase 3: City facilities reopen to public with strict physical distancing requirements.

What safety precautions will the City be implementing for reopening facilities?

The City is working hard to make sure our facilities are ready for a few more people to be in them. As part of the Planning Phase, the City evaluated each facility for possible contact and physical distancing hazards. To minimize risk, strategies will be implemented before being reopened to the public. Strategies include:

  • Providing hand sanitizer - at least 60% alcohol - at all counters and in shared work areas. 
  • Setting public capacity limits. 
  • Installing floor decals and signage denoting locations for customers to wait for service. 
  • Installing shields or stanchions.
  • Removing or limiting seating in waiting areas, lobbies and/or in hallways. 
  • Requiring shared spaces be cleaned after each use. 
  • Tracking employee attendance and visits to facilities for purposes of contact tracing. 
  • Creating an area where the public can check-in and provide contact information and date/time of visit for purposes of contact tracing. 

As restrictions ease, we are committed to continuing to find innovative and creative ways to serve our community and work together to support each other.

Are you still issuing building permits or taking applications?

Yes – online through Accela or email. Or you can also drop them off in the dropbox at the south entrance to City Hall during business hours.

The City’s passport counter is closed. How can I apply for a passport now?

Many passport application acceptance facilities are not accepting applications at this time. As of March 25, post offices which are still accepting applications are requiring customers to make an online appointment to apply in person for a U.S. passport. If you need to apply in person for your passport, please contact the facility directly to confirm the status of its operations: http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/#_blank

What exactly is closed in the city?

We are continuing to comply with Governor Brown’s Executive Order. For City closures and information regarding the City’s response to coronavirus, visit www.lakeoswego.city/coronavirus or call 503-635-0257.

Is Tryon Creek State Park now open?

Governor Brown modified the state parks usage restrictions. There are a handful of parks offering limited day-use services, including Tryon Creek State Park. Do not travel to visit state parks outside of your immediate area - stay local and close to home. Park users are expected to still maintain physical distancing and only visit the park with members of your household. Visit www.oregonstateparks.org for more information.

How can I sign up for the prescription drug delivery?

The Lake Oswego Police Department is piloting a prescription medication delivery program for Lake Oswego residents! Anyone age 65 or older, or individuals with a higher risk of severe illness due to COVID-19, call LOPD 503-635-0250 to arrange for prescription delivery from a local Lake Oswego pharmacy.

Is the LO Farmers’ Market canceled?

No! The opening date of the market has been postponed to Saturday, June 6. The location and hours of operation remain the same, however, numerous modifications will be made to ensure safety, some including one point of entry, extra spacing between vendors, and no non-essential programs. More information.

Although the market will look different in light of the pandemic, the City looks forward to continuing to provide this time-honored community event. We have launched a LO Farmers’ Market Virtual Marketplace to support alternative ways to purchase vendor goods!

What parks and recreation amenities are open and closed?

The following have reopened:

  • Dog Parks
  • Drinking Fountains
  • Golf Course (with safety modifications)
  • Off Leash Dog Areas at Pilkington Park (McNary remains closed due to construction)
  • One restroom at George Rogers, Hazelia, Foothills, Millennium, Sundeleaf, East Waluga, West Waluga & Westlake
  • Parking lots at Bryant Woods, Hazelia, Foothills, Freepons, George Rogers, Roehr, Rosemont/Brock, Stafford Trailhead, Tryon Cove & West Waluga
  • Quarry Bike Park

The following remain closed due to Governor Brown's Executive Order:

  • Athletic Fields
  • Indoor Facilities remain closed to the public, including Adult Community Center, CCP, Golf Course Clubhouse, Luscher Farmhouse & Tennis Center
  • Playgrounds
  • Sport Courts
  • Tennis Center
  • Water Sports Center

Parking lots remain closed at East Waluga, Luscher & Westlake. Community gardens at Luscher Farm are closed to non-gardeners. Food security programs, including Meals on Wheels and CSA operations continue. 

Please continue to adhere to physical distancing and avoid overcrowded parks. For the latest information on city closures visit www.lakeoswego.city/coronavirus

What about the golf course?

The Lake Oswego Public Golf Course has reopened from 6:30am-9pm.

  • Clubhouse:  The clubhouse remains closed to the public. Access is limited to restroom use only at entry through the doors facing the parking lot. There is also a portable restroom behind the 7th Green.
  • Tee Times:  Customers are advised to reserve tee times online or call the Golf Front Desk at 503-636-8228. Credit card payments only. Payments accepted online, over the phone, or at the check-in station. Balls & accessories may be purchased at the check-in station also.
  • Range:  The range is open with adequate space allowed for physical distancing requirements. Tokens available for purchase at the check-in station or by using the card reader on the range ball machine. Only one spectator is allowed at each hitting station.   
  • Please continue to practice physical distancing of six feet or more at all times. 

For more information, visit http://www.lakeoswegogolf.org/  

What about large city events this summer?

Following Oregon Brown’s recommended cancelation of all large gatherings through September, we sadly have canceled several of our summer events due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes:

  • Memorial Day Celebration
  • Millennium Concert Band
  • Star Spangled Parade & Celebration
  • Independence Day Laser Light Show
  • Summer Concerts
  • Movies in the Park
  • Howl at the Moon, and more

We remain committed to the health and wellness of the community. 

What about the fireworks on the Lake? Are they canceled?

The Fourth of July Fireworks are presented by the Lake Corporation, not the City. They have also been canceled. Contact 503 636-1422 or visit www.lakecorp.com

Are summer camps proceeding?

Governor Brown is allowing summer camps, but with certain requirements and safety modifications. Some of our camps and support services will be unavailable this summer due to restrictions required such as group size, physical distancing, personal protective equipment, and sanitation protocols. Our priority will always be the health and safety of our staff, participants, parents and volunteers. More information can be found at https://www.ci.oswego.or.us/parksrec/lopr-covid-19-update


COVID-19 Specific

Are there household remedies for COVID-19?

Please consult your doctor for diagnosing and treating COVID-19.

Do not try at-home solutions. This includes:

  • Spraying and introducing bleach or another disinfectant into your body WILL NOT protect you against COVID-19 and can be dangerous. Drinking methanol, ethanol or bleach DOES NOT prevent or cure COVID-19 and can be extremely dangerous
  • Drinking alcohol does not protect you against COVID-19 and can be dangerous
  • Misuse of hydroxychloroquine can cause serious side effects and illness and even lead to death.

Are my pets at risk of getting COVID-19?

From what we know now, the risk of animals spreading COVID-19 to people is considered low. A small number of pets have been infected, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19. Only a few of the animals reported to be positive had symptoms.

Until we learn more about how this virus affects animals, treat pets as you would other human family members to protect them from a possible infection.

  • Do not let pets interact with people or other animals outside the household.
  • Keep cats indoors when possible to prevent them from interacting with other animals or people.
  • Walk dogs on a leash, maintaining at least 6 feet (2 meters) from other people and animals.

Is COVID-19 transmitted through 5G?

Viruses cannot travel on radio waves/mobile networks. COVID-19 is spreading in many countries that do not have 5G mobile networks. COVID-19 is spread through respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs, sneezes or speaks. People can also be infected by touching a contaminated surface and then their eyes, mouth or nose.

Is their zip code data available for coronavirus cases?

Oregon Health Authority has added COVID-19 case data by ZIP code and county to their weekly reports. OHA is taking steps to protect patients' privacy by combining data. If a ZIP code’s population is less than 1,000, they will combine ZIP codes and report the aggregate case count. Also, if there are fewer than 10 cases in a ZIP code, then we will be reporting "1-9."

To see more case and county level data, please visit the OHA website, which OHA updates once a day: www.healthoregon.org/coronavirus

Do I need to wear a mask or cloth faced covering at all times?

When riding public transit, an individual must wear a face covering. OHA strongly  recommends that individuals, including children between 2 and 12 years of age, wear a face covering or mask at all times in settings like grocery stores or pharmacies. As Oregon is reopening and restrictions are being lifted on businesses and public spaces, it may be difficult to ensure that you can stay six (6) feet away from others at all times, especially locations where vulnerable people must go.

By using a simple cloth face covering, it slows the spread of the virus and helps people who may unknowingly have the virus from transmitting it to others.

Many businesses are also requiring customers wear masks or cloth face coverings to enter their premises. If you are unsure, it is best to call ahead.  https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2288K.pdf

Where can I get a mask?

Please do not purchase or attempt to purchase medical grade masks. There is a shortage of these critical supplies and our healthcare workers need them to stay safe!

You can make a cloth face covering from a t-shirt, scarf or cloth napkin. Learn more at www.cdc.gov/…/prevent-getting…/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

What about businesses and grocery store workers? Are they required to wear masks?

Yes, all businesses and their employees are now required to wear a mask or cloth face covering unless an accommodation for people with disabilities or other exemption applies.

Learn more: https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le2288K.pdf

Does Portland Airport have any specific requirements?

Portland International Airport is implementing several airport rules and processes to ensure the health safety of airline passengers, employees, and the traveling community. This includes requiring face coverings for everyone at the airport effective May 18, 2020.

What does “flatten the curve” mean? 

Flattening the curve means to slow the spread of disease. Too many cases too soon can create a spike that could greatly overwhelm and inundate our healthcare system. By spreading the cases over a longer period of time, or flattening the curve, our healthcare systems can better absorb them. This ensures hospitals and healthcare workers have adequate space, staffing, and equipment for all who need it at any one time.

Where can I learn more about COVID-19 locally?

Oregon Health Authority
Clackamas County Public Health Department
2-1-1 info

Are there coronavirus testing sites in Lake Oswego?

The OHA is advising community members with symptoms to contact your primary healthcare provider or a clinic. They can determine whether you need testing. 

If I get sick from COVID-19, can my pet catch it from me?

The OHA currently does not know if humans can transfer the disease to their pets. If you are concerned, contact your pet’s veterinarian. 


My building hasn’t been open or has been restricted for a while. Should I be concerned with stagnant water? What should I do?

The temporary shutdown or reduced operation of a building and reductions in normal water use can create hazards for returning occupants. Letting water sit in pipes for long periods of time can have a negative impact on your building’s water quality. The City recommends that buildings reopening after an extended closure follow the “Guidance for Reopening Building Water Systems after a Prolonged Shutdown.”

If you have questions or concerns about reopening your building or your water quality, we are here to help. Please contact us at watertest@ci.oswego.or.us, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/building-water-system.html or call the CIC 503-635-0257.

Are there relief options for my City of Lake Oswego utility bill?

Yes, the City is offering temporary utility payment assistance to Lake Oswego utility customers impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. Information on how to apply for this program will be shared when funds become available (late April or early May).

Will my garbage collection service be interrupted?

Republic Services is doing their best to take care of customers and minimize any service disruptions.  Due to the recent surge in residential waste volume and the unique challenges they face, businesses and residents to comply with the following trash collection changes: 

  • No Bulky Waste pickup will be allowed- this means nothing can be placed outside of a cart for pickup (mattresses, lumber, cardboard, etc).  Everything must be contained within a cart.
  • All trash must be bagged and the bagged tied at the top.  No loose trash can be dumped into carts. 
  • Recycling is still being collected. Cans and bottles that are being collected to be deposited should be washed with soap before being placed into the cart. 

For more information, visit https://www.republicservices.com/coronavirus

I cannot find toilet paper at the store, can I flush disposable wipes or paper towels?

Please don't flush disposable wipes, rags, or paper towels down the toilet. These belong in the trash. Keep your pipes and the City’s sewer system clear and avoid costly overflows.

Is coronavirus transmitted through water?

No. Our Lake Oswego drinking water is safe. The CDC has found that “the COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water.” We will continue to deliver safe drinking water to your tap throughout the COVID-19 emergency.

Will my water or other utilities be shut off if I cannot pay my bill during the crisis?

The City will not send shut-off notices or shut-off water for non-payment of unpaid water bills while the State of Emergency is in place. Public facilities are closed, including the Finance Counter. Please use our several online and phone payment options to make utility bill payments. 

Many major gas, power and internet companies have similar policies of no shutdowns due to non-payment during the crisis: www.myoregon.gov/2020/03/13/oregon-utilities-companies-extend-service-during-covid-outbreak/

Are there special offers/deals on internet?

Oregon Lifeline is offered by the State. This program reduces the monthly cost of phone or broadband service for qualifying low-income Oregon households to keep us all connected.  

Comcast Internet Essentials is a program for families and other low-income households who currently do not subscribe to Internet at home. Xfinity Internet customers are not eligible for Internet Essentials. 


Community Resources

How can I receive food from SNAP, Hunger Fighters, Meals on Wheels, Oregon Food Bank or other programs? 

Call, text or email 211 for questions about programs for food, shelter, healthcare and more. 

Can SNAP benefits be used for online groceries?

Recipients of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits can now purchase groceries online from Walmart and Amazon.

How do I know if it’s safe to go to the grocery store?  Which stores offer curbside pickup?  Which stores have special hours for seniors?

Grocery stores are offering shopping hours for seniors and vulnerable populations, including our local New Seasons, Albertsons, and Safeway. Please call your local grocery store to confirm participation and hours of service. 

Is there anyone who can help me with home delivery of food and home products?

Pantries and food assistance sites across the state remain open - with increased cleaning and changes in service to help minimize contact among groups of people. If you need assistance, send an email to gethelp@oregonfoodbank.org or call 503-505-7061. A team of navigators is available between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Where can I get food assistance?

Contact the Oregon Food Bank by phone at 503-282-0555, by email at gethelp@oregonfoodbank.org, or use their online food finder website

Why isn’t the City making grocery store workers wear masks or gloves?

Many grocery stores are conducting even more rigorous cleaning procedures at cashier stations, self-checkouts, credit card terminals, food service counters and shelves.

Also installed in many of our community markets are plexiglass “sneeze guard” partitions at checkout areas and self-check areas as well as floor decals to promote physical distancing at check lanes and other counters.

This is a rapidly evolving situation, with new information shared daily on best practices for disease prevention.  The City follows CDC guidelines and will continue to comply with orders from the Governor and the experts dealing with COVID-19. 

If you do not feel comfortable visiting a grocery store, there are options for home delivery, protected shopping hours for folks over 60 or with any serious underlying medical condition that would put you at a higher risk of severe illness due to COVID-19. 

Am I allowed to use my reusable bag at the grocery store? I thought plastic bags were banned in Oregon?

In the interests of safety for their employees and general public health, the majority of grocery stores have suspended the use of reusable grocery bags while COVID-19 remains a threat. As customers, you may see some stores with single use plastic bags and many media articles discussing a push to overturn plastic bag bans. There is also some confusion about whether we will enforce the statewide ban. Please comply with the rules your store has set for now when it comes to bags. If they have paper bags, kindly ask to use paper instead of plastic.

Is takeout safe? Or should I be worried about COVID-19 germs on the packaging?

Currently there is no evidence of COVID-19 transmitted through food. However, the virus can live on instruments that people touch, including takeout containers and utensils. To play it safe, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, and avoid touching your face after bringing your food or grocery delivery inside.

Also, you should still maintain 6 feet of physical distance. Many restaurants with pick up or delivery options are offering “no touch” deliveries and sending text alerts or calling when deliveries have arrived.

If I have personal protective equipment (PPE), where can I donate it? 

The Lake Oswego Fire Department is asking for donations for protective gear, including exam gloves, eye protection, and N-95 face masks. To donate, call 503-635-0275 to arrange a drop-off or for LOFD to pick it up!

I have made homemade cloth masks; can I donate those too?

Yes! LOFD is also collecting homemade cloth masks for Lake Oswego senior and assisted-living residents who are in the high-risk category for COVID-19. Call 503-635-0275 to arrange a drop-off or for LOFD to pick it up!

How do I confirm if blood drives are still happening, and find one to donate to?

There is currently a blood shortage due to many blood drives being canceled. It is still safe to give blood.  

The Red Cross is also requesting convalescent plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients to help current patients. More information can be found at RedCrossBlood.org

How can I help our community?

If you are healthy and safe, there are great ways to offer help and connect with our community!

  • Donate gift cards. We have partnered with Hunger Fighters to collect gift card donations. Next time you grab take-out or head to the grocery store, buy a gift card to donate to a local LO household in need. You can drop-off donated gift cards at City Hall’s utility payment box (south entrance)
  • Call a friend, neighbor, or relative. Connect with someone in our network to check how they are doing and offer help.
  • Support local restaurants. Many are still open to serve our community – please support them during this uncertain time.
  • Buy responsibly. By purchasing food and supplies in excess, ultimately puts others in our community at risk.
  • Donate blood. There is currently a blood shortage due to many blood drives being canceled. More info at RedCrossBlood.org

Is there financial assistance available for childcare?

You may be eligible for Employment Related Day Care. Contact the Oregon Department of Human Services by phone or online to see if you qualify.

Is TriMet and buses still operating?

TriMet has temporarily reduced service since April 5. Information at trimet.org

  • 36-South Shore: Weekday service will be reduced by 50%. Service will start and end about the same time as it did with regular service.
  • 37-Lake Grove: Weekday service will be reduced by about 60%. Service will start and end at the same time as it did with regular service.
  • 38-Boones Ferry Rd: Weekday service will be reduced by about 35%. Service toward Tualatin will start about an hour later and end about an hour earlier than it did with regular service.

I’m having a difficult time explaining this to my children. Can you help me?

  • Ask questions geared to your child’s age level.
  • Focus on helping your child feel safe, but be truthful.
  • Speak calmly and reassuringly.
  • Give your child specific things they can do to feel in control, like handwashing.
  • Keep checking in with your child.


Mental Health & Support Services 

Where can I turn for help if I know someone who is struggling or experiencing a mental health crisis?

If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, please reach out to the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741 or National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.

Locally: Clackamas County Crisis Line is available 24/7: 503-655-8585

I am over 55, feel lonely and don’t know who to turn to.

Clackamas County Behavioral Health and nonprofit Lines for Life offer the Senior Loneliness Line, a 24/7 hotline. Social distancing does not mean social isolation. This free service is designed for adults 55 and older living in Clackamas County, call 503-200-1633.

Domestic Violence resources


  • LOPD Emergency: 911
  • LOPD Non-emergency: (503) 635-0238
  • National Sexual Assault 24-Hr Hotline: 1-800-656-HOPE
  • National Domestic Violence 24-Hr Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE


​Child Abuse Resources


  • LOPD Emergency: 911
  • LOPD Non-emergency: 503-635-0238
  • Clackamas County Department of Human Services: 971-673-7112
  • Clackamas County 24-hour Intake and Assessment Center: 503-650-3180
  • Oregon Child Abuse 24-Hr Hotline 1-855-503-SAFE (7233)

Help for Gambling Addiction

If you have a gambling addiction that is made worse by events related to COVID-19 support is available. Visit the Oregon Health Authority to find resources to help you. www.oregon.gov/oha/HSD/AMH/Pages/Gambling.aspx

Treatment and counseling services are available free to any Oregon resident who has problems related to gambling either as a problem gambler or as a family member or friend of a problem gambler. Problem Gambling Helpline call: 1-877- My Limit (1-877-695-4648) or by Instant Messaging/Chat/Email


Reporting Crimes & Enforcement

Does COVID-19 only infect and is spread by Asian Americans?

Coronavirus does not discriminate and can infect anyone. A person’s ethnicity, language, or association with a country or region is not a risk factor for this virus. It affects every one of us – every race and ethnicity.

Sadly, local incidents of bias, stigma, and hatred against people of color have increased in conjunction with rising COVID-19 concerns. We are committed to supporting our communities of color during this crisis. We urge everyone to stand firm against hate and bigotry by following the Oregon Health Authority’s guidance to Spread Facts, Not Fear about COVID-19.

Please continue to be kind to each other, help create a welcoming and inclusive community, and treat everyone with respect.

How are you enforcing Governor Brown’s “Stay Home, Save Lives” Executive Order? Will the police be ticketing people for violations? 

As a community, we are all in this together and we all need to do our part. 

If there are concerns about the public not complying with the Order, we will first inform and educate, then issue a warning, and then cite violators as a last resort. This will be addressed on a case by case basis. People that violate the Governor’s Order in an Emergency Declaration could be arrested or cited, which is a C Misdemeanor- the lowest level of criminal conduct designation.

I’ve seen some organizations price gouging – who do I report that to?

If you believe that you have been subjected to unconscionably excessive prices for essential consumer goods due to this disruption, report that to the Oregon Department of Justice Consumer Protection hotline, at 503-378-8442. Consumers can also visit www.OregonConsumer.gov.

What about scams? 

The Federal Trade Commission has curated a webpage with information on the latest scams, how to avoid them, tips for spotting them and a button for reporting new ones at  https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/coronavirus-scams-what-ftc-doing.

Will the IRS call me to confirm my stimulus check?

No! IRS will not call, email, text or social media for verification of personal and/or banking information. If someone contacts you for banking information or requesting a fee to expedite the payment process, it is a scam.

Should I call 9-1-1 or the non-emergency line if I see people congregating or not adhering to social distancing? 

No. 9-1-1 and the non-emergency dispatch must continue to be for public safety calls. We need our dispatchers to be able to prioritize and respond to emergency calls.

If you would like to report concerns with people or businesses not complying with Governor Brown’s executive order, please call our Citizen Information Center 503-635-0257 or email cic@lakeoswego.city

You can also contact Clackamas County Business compliance at 503-742-4BIZ, 4biz@clackamas.us or visit www.clackamas.us/coronavirus/business