- Coronavirus Home
- City Status & News
- Business & Employee Resources
- Community Resources
- Health & Wellness
- City Department Links
- Precautions You Can Take
- Trusted Information Resources
Understanding coverage if you have Medicare
For those who have Medicare coverage, you should know that Medicare covers COVID-19 related needs.
- Medicare covers lab tests for COVID-19. You pay no out-of-pocket costs.
- It also covers all medically necessary hospitalizations. This includes if you're diagnosed with COVID-19 and might otherwise have been discharged from the hospital after an inpatient stay, but instead you need to stay in the hospital under quarantine.
- At this time, there's no vaccine for COVID-19. However, if one becomes available, it will be covered by all Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (Part D).
If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan, you have access to these same benefits. Medicare allows these plans to waive cost-sharing for COVID-19 lab tests. Many plans offer additional telehealth benefits. Check with your plan about your coverage and costs.
We also want to remind you that scammers may use the coronavirus pandemic to take advantage of people. As always, guard your Medicare card like a credit card. Check Medicare claims summary forms for errors. And if someone calls asking for your Medicare number, hang up!