- Parks and Recreation Home
- Things To Do
- How Do I...
- Parks & Recreation Projects
The Tennis Center provides activities to challenge every tennis player such as lessons, drill and play, leagues, and weekly ladders. View our current lesson schedule and register online
We use the National Tennis Rating Program (NTRP) as a general guide for our adult class levels:
Level 1 (NTRP 1.0-2.4)
1.0 Just starting to play tennis.
1.5 Limited experience, still working primarily on getting the ball in play.
2.0 Needs on-court experience. Has obvious stroke weaknesses, but is familiar with basic positions for singles and doubles play.
Level 2 (NTRP 2.5-2.9)
2.5 Learning to judge where the ball is going, although court coverage is weak. Can sustain a short rally of slow pace with others of the same ability.
Level 3 (NTRP 3.0-3.9)
3.0 Fairly consistent when hitting medium-paced shots, but is not comfortable with all strokes, and lacks execution when trying for directional control, depth, or power. Most common doubles formation is one up and one back.
3.5 Has achieved improved stroke dependability with directional control on moderate shots, but still lacks depth and variety. Starting to exhibit more aggressive net play, has improved court coverage, and is developing teamwork in doubles.
Level 4 (NTRP 4.0+)
4.0 Has dependable strokes, including directional control and depth on both forehand and backhand sides on moderate shots, plus the ability to use lobs, overheads, approach shots, and volleys with some success. Occasionally forces errors when serving, and teamwork in doubles is evident. Rallies may be lost due to impatience.
We use simplified versions of the NTRP ratings. For more information, the US Tennis Association provides detailed descriptions of each level,
Adult Tennis Activities
- Adult Lessons: The Indoor Tennis Center offers an extensive lesson program for beginning to advanced adult players. Programs range from group lessons focusing on skill development, to competitive play. Classes are offered Mondays & Wednesdays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, or Saturdays.
- Drill and Play: Improve your skills with moving drills. Using your current USTA rating for class choice insures a challenging learning environment for all. Morning, Afternoon and Evening sessions available.
- Private Lessons: Private lessons are also available. Call the Tennis Center, 503-635-5550, for a listing of our professional teaching staff.
- Leagues and Ladders: Many other opportunities are provided for competitive and non-competitive play in weekly ladders, City League and USTA Team Tennis. Call the Tennis Center at 503-635-5550 for more information.