- Parks & Recreation Home
- Parks Plan 2040
- Things To Do
- How Do I...
- Parks & Recreation Projects
Friends of the Parks Groups
Lake Oswego Parks Department has nine recognized Friends Groups that provide thousands of volunteer hours to restore the habitat in over a dozen Lake Oswego's parks. The Friends Groups are dedicated volunteers that coordinate with the Park staff and organize work parties in the parks' natural areas. The Friends Groups have been integral in the successful planting of native species and the removal of invasive species in the parks' natural areas. Habitat restoration work parties occur throughout year in coordination with the Friends Group leads and Parks staff.
Thank you for your continued support of Lake Oswego's beautiful, natural park areas!
For a list of the Friends Groups habitat restoration work parties, visit the Volunteer Stewardship Opportunities page: www.lo-stewardship.org
To learn more and/or connect with a Friends Group, see below.
Friends of Iron Mountain Park
Lead: Eric Hirshberger
Friends of Lily Bay Natural Area
Lead: Sue Yesilada
Friends of Luscher Farms
Lead: Gale Wallmark
Friends of Hallinan Heights Woods
(Freepons Park) Lead: Debbie Craig
Friends of Hallinan Heights Woods
(Hallinan Woods) Lead: Barbara Fisher
Friends of Rogerson Clematis Garden
Lead: Amy Herman
Friends of Southwood Park
Lead: Kim Valley
Friends of Waluga Parks (East Waluga and West Waluga)
Leads: Will Mahoney-Watson and Alan Doby
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Phone: 503-752-3430 amd 503-675-1765
Friends of Woodmont Park
Lead: Phil Zald
Friends Groups Resources
Per Resolution 08-83 The Lake Oswego City Council established an administrative policy for park and natural area friends groups. The resolution explains the intent of friends groups and provides guidelines.
How to Become a Friends Group:
If you're interested in starting a Friends Group, here are the steps to follow:
- Organize a group of interested people. The group must consist of at least four active members.
- The group members need to fill out the Friends Group Application and attach a 5 year work strategy.
- Submit your application to Babs Hamachek, Parks Stewardship Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-534-5697.
- The application will be reviewed by the Parks Department. Staff will work with your group to align your 5 year project ideas (5 year work strategy) with current and future City work plans, to ensure they coordinate.
- The application will be submitted to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for recommendation to be presented to the City Council for approval. Once approved, the Friends Group will sign the 5 year agreement and be officially recognized by the City.
- The final step for the Friends Group is to fill out a more detailed work plan for each fiscal year. See annual work plan submittal deadlines in the next section.
- The annual work plan will be reviewed by staff and aligned with current City work plans and goals. The work plan is then presented to the Parks Board for approval before being submitted to the City Council for approval.
If you have questions, please call Babs Hamachek at 503-534-5697. Parks staff is here to help with this Friends Group application process.
Work Plan Timelines
FY 2023 - 2024 *** WORK PLAN DUE DATES.
Due dates are now June 1 prior to the next fiscal year. Contact Megan Big John for additional questions.
2023 - 2024
June 1, 2023
*** Work plan timelines are based on the fiscal year (FY) which runs annually from July 1 to June 30.
Please submit work plans to Babs Hamachek, Parks Stewardship Coordinator at email@example.com or mail to P.O. Box 369, Lake Oswego, OR 97034. If you have any questions please contact Babs Hamachek at 503-534-5697.
Resources and Documents
- King County's Animals, Plants, and Habitat guide
- Clackamas County's Conservation District website
- Friends Forum Clackamas County Soil and Water Conservation District Invasive Species Presentation - Download the PDF version (4.4 mb)
If you have additional resource ideas, please contact Babs Hamachek firstname.lastname@example.org