AN 18-0020: Southwood Park Area (Voter Annexation)
Update: June 5, 2019
On June 4, 2019, the Lake Oswego City Council conducted a public hearing and tentatively approved Ordinance 2805, an Ordinance of the Lake Oswego City Council authorizing annexation of the Southwood Park Neighborhood, provided that a majority of the voters cast in the neighborhood are in favor of the annexation. The Council is scheduled to enact Ordinance 2805 on June 18, 2019. This will provide an opportunity for registered voters in the Southwood Park Neighborhood to vote on the question of annexation in a special election conducted by Clackamas County on September 17, 2019.
* * * * *
On June 4, 2019, the Lake Oswego City Council will hold a public hearing to consider authorizing a special election for the annexation of the Southwood Park area. This will provide an opportunity for residents in the Southwood Park neighborhood to appear and submit testimony regarding the future annexation. At this hearing, the City Council will consider adoption of the proposed ballot title for the special election that would be held on September 17, 2019.
- Map of proposed area to be annexed
- Notice of City Council Public Hearing (Ballot Measure 56/ORS 227.186) - This notice is sent to all property owners (tax payers) of the proposed property to be annexed involving certain zone changes.
- Notice of City Council Public Hearing (Legislative) - This notice is sent to all property owners of the proposed property to be annexed, neighborhood association chairs and various local, county, state, and regional jurisdictions.
- Council Report and Exhibits (public hearing documents) - click here.
The City initiated an annexation study with Portland State University Center for Public Service in 2017 and results were presented to the City Council on November 21, 2017. Additional meetings discussing future annexation policy and service delivery to unincorporated areas were held on March 22, 2018 and July 17, 2018. Board members of the Southwood Park Water District (SPWD) had approached the city with issues related to running the SPWD. On September 18, the City Council directed staff to work with the SPWD Board and the neighborhood on the potential annexation of 75.2 acres that makeup the Southwood Park area. On December 18, 2018, the City Council provided the following policy direction to staff:
- Maintain the current (lower) water rates for a period of five years, with only inflation adjustments, and then phase in the city water rates in years six through ten.
- Southwood Park be connected to the City water system within a period of five years.
- Phase in the increase in the property taxes for Southwood Park property owners over a period of five years.
On January 23, 2019, during a regularly scheduled monthly meeting, the Southwood Park Water District Board voted unamiously to recommend annexation to the City of Lake Oswego. On February 11, 2019, the Southwood Park Community Planning Organization (CPO) voted 84 to 45 in favor of holding an election for annexation of the Southwood Park area. The outreach that was conducted by the CPO to provide information and notify Southwood residents of meetings related to a possible annexation, can be found by going to the "CPO Public Outreach" folder. The "CPO Summary of Communication with Neighbors" describes all the activities that occurred from October 2018 to February 2019. All documents referenced in the CPO Summary can be found in the CPO Public Outreach folder.
Stay Informed - Subscribe
If you would like to be kept informed, please sign up here:
Select "Southwood Park Annexation" and press "Update" to subscribe.