Behavioral Health Unit (BHU)

Meet Amber Hambrick, The BHU Behavioral Health Specialist

Amber joined our team on April 12, 2021. She has a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and holds two Masters degrees in Counseling Education and Counseling Psychology. With 15 years of hands-on experience in mental health and case management, she came to us from the Clackamas County Mobile Crisis Response Team where she most recently served as a Mental Health Specialist II.

Amber works in partnership with our staff to assess and address behavioral health issues within our community and in collaboration with other mental health resources. In addition to working with our community members, she is able to offer in-house training to our department on Crisis Intervention Techniques and De-Escalation. Amber also assists the West Linn police department in the same capacity. This partnership is a tremendous benefit to both of our communities, and we are happy to have Amber as a resource to better serve our public.

What's New with BHU

May 13, 2024

Summer Bucket List

With summer rapidly approaching, many parents will be looking for ways to fill their kids' days. There are lots of little things you can do to fill the days and connect with your kids at the same time! You can print this Summer Bucket List which also has a Self-Care Checklist for parents included with it! One fun way to use the bucket list is to print and put it on the refrigerator so your kids can check things off as they do them.

Do I need help?

How do you know if you need professional help? Check out this self-assessment tool to help you decide. When in doubt, seek help. It's always better to seek professional help and not need it than to need it and not seek help!

Frequently Asked Questions

What can she do?

She is a mental health practitioner who responds to mental health crises on‐site in the community where crises arise. she provides a face‐to‐face therapeutic response. She does not always show up with a police officer, she can arrive with or without police depending on the situation. She does joint outreaches with other local community agencies and works collaboratively with other community agencies to help meet the needs of individuals.

What does she do after an incident?

Amber intervenes during a crisis to ensure community and personal safety and health, and afterward, she refers people to transitional housing, resources, mental health services, or back to their own providers. She completes follow-up calls as requested or notified by police.

Is she a uniformed police officer?

She is not a police officer, and she wears regular clothes. She does carry a radio for safety reasons and she drives an unmarked car.

How is she called?

Amber responds to calls and referrals directly from our 911 dispatchers, by officers, community agencies, or self-referral.

What doesn't she do?

She does not do hostage negotiations, carry or use any weapons, or carry an ongoing caseload of clients as their clinician. She also doesn't counsel staff of Lake Oswego or West Linn police departments, and she doesn't work 24-hours per day.

How do I get in touch with Amber?

You can reach Amber by calling the police non-emergency number - (503) 635-0238 - or by sending an email to



Mental Health
General Community Resources 211
Clackamas County Crisis Line (24hr) 503-655-8585
Clackamas County Mental Health Urgent Walk-in Center 11211 SE 82nd Ave, Suite O
Happy Valley, OR 97086
National Alliance for Mental Illness (NAMI) 503-344-8600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Clackamas County Housing Line 503-655-8575
Older Adult
Lake Oswego Adult Community Center (ACC) 503-635-3758
Clackamas County Adult Protective Service (APS) 971-673-6655
Clackamas County Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) 503-650-5622
Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline 1-800-872-3900
Senior Loneliness Line 503-200-1633
Domestic Violence
Clackamas County Victim's Assistance 503-655-8616
Clackamas Women's Services 503-654-2288
A Safe Place Family Justice Center 503-655-8600
Substance Use Issues
Clackamas County Crisis Line (24hr) 503-655-8585
Clackamas County Alcohol & Drug Treatment Service (for self or others) 503-742-5335