Oswego Iron Company Cottage, Circa 1880
Location: 40 Wilbur Street
This dwelling was believed to have been built by the Oswego Iron Company in 1880 to house employees. During its operation, the company built numerous small cottages for employees in the Old Town and South Town neighborhoods. This is one of three surviving cottages. The style is typical of houses built in its era, with a one-story, rectangular plan, moderately pitched gable roof, narrow four-over-four sash windows, and little decorative detail. This is one of the best preserved examples of its type in the city, notwithstanding minor changes, with overall character intact.