Name the Sweeper
UPDATE - March 13, 2013 - Contests are Closed
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Coloring and Name the Street Sweeper competitions. The contests are closed and judging is underway.
In case you are wondering about the contest details and what this is all about, here is the contest information:
City of Lake Oswego has a new Street Sweeper and it needs a name. Street sweepers in Lake Oswego do an important job and work hard. Last fiscal year, the three street sweepers swept more than 6,400 miles of road, collecting enough debris to fill almost 16,000 40-gallon lawn trash bags.
Streets aren't just swept because it keeps streets clean and pretty. The City is required to do it and it isn't just because it prevents cars from slipping on leaves, oil on the roads or getting a cracked windshield from a flying pebble. Through our stormwater program streets are cleaned in order to keep debris and pollutants out of our creeks rivers and streams as well as Oswego Lake. Cleaning streets keeps water resources clean by preventing gravel and pollutants from entering waterways. The stormwater program is a function of the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System - Municipal Separate Storm Sewer (NPDES - MS4 permit).
Please give our important new vehicle a name. Prior to participating and entering the contest please review the below details on how to submit an entry into the Name the Street Sweeper Contest and also how youth (Preschool through 5th grade) can participate in the Coloring Contest.
This page includes:
- How to Enter the Name the Sweeper Contest and the Coloring Contest
- Name the Street Sweeper and Coloring Contests Submission Criteria and Agreements
- Information on Selection of Finalists, Winners and Display of Entries, Coloring Contest
- Information on Selection of Finalists, Winners and Display of Entries, Naming the Street Sweeper Contest
- Contest Timeline and Announcement of Winners
- Special Thanks
Naming our sweepers will help give their important service a voice. If you need a little background to help you develop a name, we have a great page for you. The specifications for the A7 Tonrnado as well as information on street sweepers in Lake Oswego are at Street Sweepers Keep Streets and Water Clean.
How to Enter the Name the Sweeper Contest and the Coloring Contest
- Enter by March 10, 2013
- Download and print the Name the Sweeper Contest Coloring Sheet. (The Sheet is two pages, both pages must be submitted).
- Complete the online form.
- Pick up and drop off the Name the Sweeper Contest Coloring Sheet at the below locations.
- Lake Oswego City Hall 1st floor lobby (Public Affairs or Citizen Information Center) - 380 A Ave
- The Lake Oswego Library, Children's Room, lower level- 706 4th Street
- West End Building - 4101 Kruse Way
- Operations – 5705 Jean Road
- Entries can be mailed to:
Name the Street Sweeper and Coloring Contests Submission Criteria and Agreements
- The contests are intended for people who live and/or work (and their families) in the Lake Oswego. Please provide the Lake Oswego address of the employee or family in Lake Oswego that you are part of when submitting the application.
- Contact Information must be provided to be considered in the contest(s).
- Sweeper names should be catchy, fun and appropriate for a city vehicle and street sweeper.
- A person may submit more than one name for the Name the Sweeper Contest.
- Only one entry will be considered per person for the Coloring Contest.
- Multiple entries for the same street sweeper name will be accepted. If the name is selected as the winner, each person entering that name is considered the winner.
- Coloring Contest Sheet and Street Sweeper name entries become property of the City of Lake Oswego and may be reproduced and used for promotions by the City of Lake Oswego and Schwarze Industries, Inc. (the manufacturer of the street sweeper).
- All entries must be received by the deadline of Sunday March 10.
- Coloring Contest Sheets will not be returned to the artist.
- Decisions of the City Committee and the public are final and binding.
- Contact information for winning entries will not be displayed or provided without consent of the participant or participant’s guardian.
Information on Selection of Finalists, Winners and Display of Entries
- Please print each of the two pages on the Coloring Contest Sheet and submit on both. If possible, print two sided to get it front and back on one page.
- All entries submitted on the Coloring Contest Sheet that are completed by a resident that are in the grades of Preschool through 5th Grade will be entered into a Coloring Contest. Preschool is inclusive of the ages 3-5 year olds.
- Only one Coloring Contest entry will be allowed per person.
- Entries will be broken down into three categories for the purposes of judging, Preschool (ages 3-5), Kindergarten through 2nd Grade, and 3rd through 5th grade. A winner will be selected for each of the three age groups.
- Coloring Contest winners will receive a prize and also have their art posted to www.ci.oswego.or.us and displayed in City Hall for the month of May.
- Winners will be announced in the May HelloLO and at www.ci.oswego.or.us on May 1.
- Submissions for the Name the Street Sweeper Contest submitted through the Coloring Sheet (for all age groups) will be put on Display at City facilities for the month of April (Preschool at the West End Building, K-2 at the Lake Oswego Library, grades 3-5 at City Hall and 6th grade and older at Operations).
- All entries become the property of the City of Lake Oswego. In order to promote the valuable services street sweepers provide in keeping our streets, streams and waterways clean, all Coloring Contest Sheet entries may be reproduced and used for promotions by the City of Lake Oswego and Schwarze Industries, Inc. (the manufacturer of the street sweeper).
- People can submit multiple names for the Name the Street Sweeper contest.
- Entries can be made online, through the Coloring Contest Sheet or mailed to Public Affairs.
- A City Committee will review submissions and select the top 5 names.
- The top 10 names will be published in the April HelloLO and on the City website for a public vote. The vote will be from April 1 and April 15. (Given the number of names entered, the Committee selected the top 10 names for a vote as opposed to the top 5.)
- Winners will be announced in the May HelloLO and on the City website May 1.
Winners of the Name the Street Sweeper Contest (1st, 2nd and 3rd place) will:
- Have the sweeper name put on the street sweeper.
- The name that gets the most votes will be given to and put on the new A7000 sweeper.
- The names that get the 2nd and 3rd most votes will be given to and put on the two other street sweepers in the City fleet.
- See the A7000 sweeper close up and enjoy a ride in the street sweeper at the Lake Oswego Operations or other City location.
- Other prizes may be added depending on number of winners (as many people may submit the same name).
All entries become the property of the City of Lake Oswego. In order to promote the valuable services street sweepers provide in keeping our streets, streams and waterways clean, all Name the Street Sweeper entries may be shared, reproduced and used for promotions by the City of Lake Oswego and Schwarze Industries, Inc. (the manufacturer of the street sweeper).
- Entries must be submitted by March 10, 2013.
- City Committee will selects the finalists (top 5 names) and Coloring Contest winners by grade groups.
- Community votes on the finalists – April 1 – 15, through the HelloLO and on the City Website.
Finalists announced for Naming and Coloring Contest – May 1 in the HelloLO and on the City Website.
The City of Lake Oswego Public Affairs team would like to thank the staff at Operations for letting us learn more about what they do, how hard they work and the tools that they use to provide important services for the City of Lake Oswego. We would also like to thank Schwarze Inc. for the partnership in the development of the contest materials and interest in promoting how our city keeps streets and water clean.