Recycled Ornament Contest 2019
The City is excited to announce our first Recycled Ornament Contest - all Lake Oswego residents are invited to participate! This fun contest encourages participants to be creative and look at recyclables and reusables in a new way - ornaments must be made primarily from these materials. This would be a great project for students and creative people of all ages!
Approximately 50 ornaments will be selected to decorate a holiday tree which will be on display inside City Hall. In mid-December the decorated tree will be donated to bring cheer to others over the holidays.
Winner in each category will receive a $50 gift card and a few gifts made from recycled or environmentally-friendly material.
Contest Rules & Guidelines
- The ornaments must be made of recyclable or reusable materials. Glue, paint, glitter, floral wire, etc. may be used, but the main emphasis of the contest is to see what can be created with recycled materials. Do not use perishable items - natural materials, such as wood, is ok.
- Ornaments should be no more than 6”x 6”x6” in size.
- Ornaments should be lightweight enough to be hung on a tree and not bend the limbs.
- The ornament must have a hanger or hook to attach it to the tree.
- The materials cannot pose a safety hazard to the creator or those enjoying the ornament. Avoid the use of sharp, toxic or easily breakable materials.
- A maximum of five entries per person.
- A 3 x 5" card is required to be securely attached to each ornament listing the following:
- Contestant’s name, address, email and phone number
- If age 18 or under, also include: parent’s address, email and phone number
- Detailed description of ornament including what it is make of
- If applicable, school name and grade
- The ornament is the result of Contestant’s sole artistic effort.
- The ornament is unique and original and does not infringe upon any copyright, trademark, or patent.
- No entry fee is required.
- Ornaments will not be returned and will become the property of the City of Lake Oswego.
- Most unique
- Best featuring Lake Oswego’s history, landmarks, etc.
- Best use of natural materials
- Youth (age 12 or under)
A panel consisting of City of Lake Oswego staff and a City Councilor (“Judges”) will evaluate all contest entries based on overall quality and creativity. The City reserves the right not to award prizes if a suitable ornament has not been entered.
How to Enter Your Ornament
Attach the 3 x 5" card (with information specified above) and turn in with ornament at Lake Oswego City Hall - Public Information Office, 380 A Avenue. All entries must be received by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
For More Information Contact
Bonnie Hirshberger, Citizen Information Specialist, 503-675-3992.